Should I???

Kappa

Excalibur from the wrong side of the Pennines I see.

Why did Yorkshire men start on the 1st June Answer Yourkshiremen can't count past 1 so 16th start date was a no go.

or One is a simple word sixteen is a big word and Yorkshiremen can't read big words.

Tight lines and fish all year for what you want.

So NO to fluff dipping

:D:D:D:D

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com

hiya jangar im allright mate,

now then Dragonbat here in yorkshire where men are men we started fishing on the 1st cos we wanted to, not like you lancashire woosies who dare not go till the 16th, no fluff dipping! you were too occupied dipping fluff thats why lambing was allways late in lancs. :D:D:D:D

Richard,

I have never been a great fan of the closed season, I feel it is of little benefit to the fish. I think I am right in saying the close season was not originally introduced with fish welfare in mind at all!

Additionally, I have lost count of the number of spawn laiden fish I have seen in the angling press caught 'legally' after June 16th.

I have fished regularly during the old close season and I do not believe this has any adverse effects on the fish.

So for what its worth, go for it, enjoy it and make your own mind up when you see the condition of the fish you catch.

I was thinking about this thread on the way home tonight (obviously nothing better to do in my life!!).

I think because it's not been too long since the old close-season was abolished, I think there are many who are up in arms about it. I'm a bit of a traditionalist (well... I read waterlog and get tangled up round centrepins!) and have had mixed emotions about fishing through.

However, I wonder what the situation will be in 10 years time? Do the people who currently stubbornly refuse to fish through think that in 10 years time they will still feel the same? I doubt it.

I personally feel that as the closed-season has gone, we might as well accept change, and give it a go. If in a few years we realise that it was a bad idea and we realise that it has been detrimental to the fish, then hopefully the EA will have sense to re-introduce the closed season. That way, us traditionalists can simply say... "Told you so!".

And if you think that the glorious 16th has gone forever, simply make a point of going to fish somewhere different, and really special. That way, it can still be special (don't worry... it'll still rain that day, as always!).

I would say get out and fish. The old close season is one of the best periods for fishing and I just love being out as the days get longer and the wildlife all comes to life again.

If you really want to observe the close season then get out on the rivers when they open again on the 16th.

Rob.