Laying On?

P@UL

I used to know an old man when I was younger, he was in his 80s and fished the Tyne a long long time ago 1940s to 60s I think. One of the things I remember most about him is he used to talk about a method called Laying On, dose any body know anything about it? Or is it just an old name for ledgering or something? Its not a term I seem to hear these days.

P@UL

"Laying on" is exactly that,the bait is laid on the bottom, a float is attached to the line for bite indication, as much overdepth as necessary to stop it from being dragged under.There are many more finer points to the method which all go to making it a success.

It's basically light legering using a float for bite indication.

I would expect that a "search" on one or two of the angling websites would turn up more info.

[ 12 March 2002, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: ajp ]

So what (if any is the difference) between 'laying-on' and 'stret-pegging' which is what I call the technique.

It's a great way of 'exploring' a swim and results can be spectacular. I fish it a lot on certain streamy sections of the Kennet. Lift the float every couple of minutes and let the bait trickle down-stream a few inches. Be prepared!! bites are often savage and sudden. An active and great way to tempt barbel and chub. My best haul this season fishing this wasy was 5 barbel and 14 chub to 5lb in a 5 hour trip - my arm ached for days!!

Chris

[ 12 March 2002, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Chris Plumb ]

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog