Too helpful PC.

Cranfield

My PC wants to help me fill in every box that appears on the screen.

I am use to Google keep making suggestions on what I should be searching for, after I type one letter, but now Mozilla Firefox seems to be doing the same thing.

Any suggestions as to how I can stop this happening please ?

I know its not the end of the world, but its starting to get more than a little irritating. :angry:

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Don't know about Firefox, but it will presumably similar to Google.

On Google home page got to "Search Setting" scroll down and under "Auto complete! highlight the button " Do not provide query predictions in the search box". Then save your changes.

On my Google Home page under Settings there is not an "Auto Complete" option.

The nearest it gets is "Google Instant" and I have checked "Do not use Google Instant".

It still makes the aforementioned suggestions.

In Firefox, try this:-

Tools

Options

Advanced

General

and untick - Search for text when.............. etc.

No guarantees, but it'll do no harm and is easily reversed.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that box is already unchecked. :thumbs:

I think its all part of Google's desire to take over the world.

Having looked around the Net, one option suggested is to go to My Google Account>click on "Edit" next to "My Products" and delete the "Search history cache".

When I follow this route, I get as far as clicking on "Edit" and get two options.

First is "Delete product, Remove GMail permanently", second is, "Delete account, close account and deleyte all services and information".

Its possible that the "Search history cache" is in the second option, but I am wary on clicking on this option in case it just deletes the account, rather than giving me a choice of which bits of the account to delete.

This look like something I am just going to have to put up with.

• 2 months later...

"I think its all part of Google's desire to take over the world"Your quite right about that Cranfield, you only have to look at thier respones to complaints about Auto Complete.

But whoopee doo!! there is a way that works!!!

Start by deleting Google from your Favorites.

Then go Start> Programs > Control Panel, open Internet Options.

Under the General Tab, Browsing History click Delete.

This gets rid of any Cookies on your PC, I use CCleaner as an alternative.

Now open any web page except Google, and type in the address bar http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0

and hit enter. This will open Google and it won't use Auto Complete, all you do then is add that page to your Favourites

What a job I had finding that, I was starting to get paranoid about Google, and using All the web instead.