River Avon Evesham

big pole

As the winner of what used to be the John Smiths qualifier on the Sainforth and Keadby canal. I will be lucky enough to fish the last final of this event.

I have a bit of an idea on what to expect (beer and more beer.) But if any of you could give me any more help on tactice etc, I will be happy to buy you a drink out of my £2000 winnings.

The Avon in this area has good heads of roach chub bream and barbel and of course pike and zander. The most popular methods seem to be wagler or swim feeder, the latter especialy for bream. The pole can also work on some pegs. You are obviously more proficient than I so I won't presume to tell you how to fish.

I wish you good luck and hope you get a good peg.

[ 15 July 2002, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

I dont know about this and i dont know if you know (does that make sense?) but is Bloodworm and joker being allowed this year? I know it has been in previous years but i dont think it was last year? Basically you need somthing big to win it! Ie a nice barbel! I probably havent told you anything you dont already know though! Good luck mate! And well done on winning the qualifier, a wirte up on your match would be nice!

I had a very large catch of Chub there a while back taken on a simple link ledger set up using Raw sausage section. Just another option to bear in mind. Hempseed fed sparingly seems to bring them in very well around the town common areas as well..!!

Paul

Thanks alot for the help.

Mally Bloodworm is not allowed in this years event. Have you any ideas on what pegs/areas hold the bigger fish ie Barbell? And which pegs/areas am I best targetting the Roach on Hemp? I know the first 5 pegs on the boards are good, but a part from that

You havn't said where in Evesham, I assumed you didn't know, but barbel are pretty wide spread on the Avon, but they are more abundant in the faster water of course. The depth of water generally ranges from 8 to 10 foot in that area, and I have hooked into them on spam at that depth, a bit lower down, chub too have taken it. I got a nice 5lb chub on it, lobbies also seem to work for both, so does the feeder, maggot or corn, spoilt for choice really, if there on, it's good, if there off, it can be hard. Keep an eye open for a pike aswell cos there's plenty of em in there, they will no doubt follow a catch in, and watch your keepnet too.