strange fish

Gray-Catchpole

I've seen carp like these before. It was just probably an injury when it was young. have a look at this fish from Raduta 40+

http://www.ukcarp.net/Gallery/ChrisWoodrow...05M06102001.asp

talking of strange fish, I used to fish a canal in St Helens and all the old original carp in there were the wierdest looking heavilly scaled long lean fish.

hotties1.jpg

hotties3.jpg

hotties2.jpg

Paul Singleton

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aero:

Carp become two tone when they are changend from one water to anoter. 1 art of the fish is the colour it grew to blend in the last water. Then the second is the second water. Its usally caused thought illegal stocking :mad:

Who told you this???

I really do hope this is a joke, it must be must`nt it?

What a load of nonsense...............

That means there would be hundreds of two tone fish around then........

[ 20 June 2002, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Chris Shaw ]

Sorry chris that's rubbish chris. Only the originals were like that. All other fish in the canal were fine. the fish were eventually moved to other club lakes when the canal was dredged and they all still look like that.

this fish was from the same canal

hotties4.jpg

Paul Singleton

I agree on you two tone point though. The very straight lines we see on two tone fish lead me to think that there is a spinal problem at some point in life. It seems to be stopping pigment info passing all the way down the fish.

Paul Singleton

This what makes carp fishing so interesting many of these fish are fully individual !!

half pound roach from the canal all look like oneanother !!

i fished pond for its carp early on in the year and the carp in there all have mouths that would not look out of place on a bream !! they are like a cross between a bream's mouth and a carps mouth

John "The Block" Westley

singy:

Sorry chris that's rubbish chris. Only the originals were like that. All other fish in the canal were fine. the fish were eventually moved to other club lakes when the canal was dredged and they all still look like that.

this fish was from the same canal

hotties4.jpg

You ask why, I tell you, then you rubbish it.

The common with the belly could either be spawn bound, or it has not picked up the parasite.

When the fish were moved they would still retain the parasites/worms in the gut that stops the goodness from the food being ingested into their systems, thus the fish would retain that skinny gutted look.

Carp come in all shapes and sizes form the wired to the wonderful so i wouldnt worry about them but but the tench! That is funny. I have come accross rudd befor that have had mouths the are virticle rarther than horizontal. I also thought this was the hooks fault.

Regards

Ed 'Herefords bagging machine'

www.kingfisher-club.vze.com

As a keen aquaculturist parasite infestations will spread through the entire stock. Why then Chris is it only the carp that were originally stocked into the canal like this. All subsequent generations are fine. All other species are fine. There was not a food problem in the canal, it produced 4lb tench, carp to 20, roach to 1.5lb, bream to 4 and perch to 4. I personally think the reason the carp look like this was genetical and not a parasit or disease.

Singy

Paul Singleton

singy:

As a keen aquaculturist parasite infestations will spread through the entire stock. Why then Chris is it only the carp that were originally stocked into the canal like this. All subsequent generations are fine. All other species are fine. There was not a food problem in the canal, it produced 4lb tench, carp to 20, roach to 1.5lb, bream to 4 and perch to 4. I personally think the reason the carp look like this was genetical and not a parasit or disease.

Singy

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Without cutting one of those fish open to find out if a parasite/worm is involved, I cannot back up what I feel is the cause. I have only ever seen this skinny gutted look in fish when they have had something wrong with them, not by design so to speak.

Any fish biologists out there, who can throw some light on this one?