The RSSG.

trent.barbeler

waterman1013:

Guys

Lee is probably hard at work at the moment so I hope he won't mind me posting this for your information.

The three main Aims and Objectives agreed by all in attendance were as follows...

·To openly promote and support the continuance of 'Open to All' fishing.

·To actively support all river fishing clubs/societies/associations etc that offer 'Open to All' fishing to their members/season ticket holders or day permit/guest members acting within the structure of the group/campaign.

·To become active within any area that effects the rivers environment.

It is worth supporting so send your cheques for £3.00 to Ian Jobling, Treasurer RSSG.  If only I could find his address.

Mike

Hi
waterman1013:

Guys

All,

Briefly, because I am very tired and need sleep; For those unaware of exactly what the River Systems Support Group RSSG is all about, it is a group who is hoping to place RSSG members on every river system including drains and the Broads System to support local fishing clubs and their local anglers whilst working for the protection and preservation of the river systems environment and wildlife habitats. Also, amongst many things to be explained in a draft tomorrow, the RSSG intend on setting up a series of national fish-ins and fishing workshops for kids to encourage and educate our local kids as to the joys of going fishing. AND; If we can get the funding, we are hoping to eventually send out a angling roadshow to visit schools up and down the country.

Of course, in order to pull this off even with RSSG individual membership, the RSSG will be talking to anglings governing bodies as well for their ideas and support. Such as the SAA, the NFA, the NAA and so on.

The RSSG is not about us and them, or them and us. It is about all of us working together for a brighter future for river systems angling. Hell! For all angling.

More from me tomorrow guys.

Regards,

Lee Fletcher RSSG secretary.

These two posts appear to have two different aims.

Which one is it? An enviromental group or an anti syndication group? And if the latter will they be attempting to address the problem of lack of general coarse fishing on game only rivers?

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely both aims of the RSSG are in the long run going to be good for our rivers.

Environmental protection to help sustain the natural habitats in and around the rivers in our country.

Anti-syndication. Not a bad thing. Keep our rivers free to fish and encourage youngsters to fish rivers instead of these god-forsaken carp puddles.

Fishing a river is a skill I have yet to master. In my eyes, those who fish rivers are skilled anglers who deserve my greatest respect.

I, like many others who have posted in this thread, have never heard of the RSSG. Perhaps part of the problem was promotion of the group. If no-one knows you are there then no-one will join.

Get the details sorted out as to whether the group will remain up and running. Also, is the tree quid a monthly payment, quaterly, yearly?? For less than a packet of fags I would be willing to support such an organisation.

Tight lines.

Chris

£3 is an annual subscription.

Chris has summed up the objectives of the RSSG. Well as far as I know and I am one of the founding members :)

One thing I would like to make clear though is that this group is NOT interested in revisiting the past but to learn the lessons of it and to try and prevent fishing that is currently open to all to stay exactly as it is.

In other words this is not a witch hunt to those that currently enjoy fishing syndicated waters.

Cheers

Andy

ANMC Member, Go on you want to too !

Eddie

I have read those two posts again and I cannot see any difference in objectives between them. Are we reading the same bits?

As I understand it the post from Andy Thatcher sums it up. Get your cheque book out.

Mike

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.

waterman1013:

Eddie

I have read those two posts again and I cannot see any difference in objectives between them.  Are we reading the same bits?

As I understand it the post from Andy Thatcher sums it up.  Get your cheque book out.

Mike

The three main Aims and Objectives agreed by all in attendance were as follows.....

·To openly promote and support the continuance of 'Open to All' fishing.

·To actively support all river fishing clubs/societies/associations etc that offer 'Open to All' fishing to their members/season ticket holders or day permit/guest members acting within the structure of the group/campaign.

I have reread the group secretaries post again and still could not find where he alluded to these two points

·To become active within any area that effects the rivers environment.

Found this one and it indeed is the same. Would you like to enlighten me as to where the first two aims are mentioned in the other post?

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Adress for RSSG; Ian Jobling,

78 Freemantle Close,

Oakridge,

Basingstoke,

Hampshire, RG21 4JN

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Lee, please do not get discouraged by apathy in others.

Forty years ago I spent a lot of time organising fishery management groups for angling clubs within a large federation.

A lot of keen young anglers set up fishery management sub-committees within their clubs. A lot of detailed surveying of club waters potential took place. Not surprisingly the most common finding was that small club waters should be stocked with tench, rudd and perch rather than skimmer bream.

After the initial enthusiasm (about 9 months) I found that many of the clubs who initially supported the idea had got bored with it (no instant 5 lb tench had appeared in their waters) and the fishery management people were voted off committees in favour of positive stocking action from the matchfishers (I don't mean REAL matchfishers, I mean people anxious to win the club match cup with a 7 lb bag, 45 fish, all bream) Bream were stocked ad nauseam (few carp about then) and many waters ruined. At first I thought I had wasted my time, but....

It is interesting that a very few clubs persisted with an informed fishery management policy and are now, forty years later, thriving. Others have persisted with a stick-in-the mud skimmer bashing philosophy and are struggling - and now, in desperation, stocking with match sized carp, but cannot compete with the commercial set-ups.

So, with hindsight, I'm glad I helped pioneer the idea of clubs managing their own fisheries.

Having written to Ian yesterday, offering support (and your fourteenth sub) I was a little taken aback to read the first post here, ie that you wanted to take your bat home. However, there seems to be enough support to encourage you to think again.

The major snag in the whole idea I have set out in my letter (ie "Open to all" means open to litter louts, and litter-louts lose waters) - if this aspect can be addressed we could be in business - but if, after all, you do not proceed with RSSG, please send my sub on to the ACA.

I hope the scheme goes forward, but we must all expect apathy - especially at club level. That does not mean we should give up.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hi All,

Sorry for not coming here sooner this evening but I have a ton of emails to reply to still and am in the process of drafting something for Elton.

Hi Eddie,

The points that Mike made were I believe extracts fro the RSSG formation meetings agenda. My own post was merely a summary of what the RSSG stands for. You are right that the two posts seem to be different and that is what they were but not purposely intended. If you send me your email address Eddie will be only to pleased to send you the RSSG information that was sent out originally.

RSSG on syndicates? At the RSSG formation meeting it was made perfectly plain that the RSSG are NOT against syndicates. Clearly many syndicates have been around a very long time and are accepted as part of angling.

What the RSSG ARE against, is fishing clubs loosing their fishing rights due to proven underhanded practices.

As for game angling clubs opening up the fishing under their control to course anglers? I feel that this is a matter for those controlling clubs to decide.

I am aware that in some parts of the country, course anglers find it very hard to find decent river fishing due to the fact that stretches on their local rivers are taken up by game angling clubs. This is very much the same story on a long stretch of local river near to my home that contains some huge perch and barbel. This stretch is controled by a game fishing club who fish for trout and grayling. I accept that these anglers quite rightly have every right to fish this stretch exclusively as they pay the rent and stock the river themselves.

But there again Eddie, I have plenty of places to fish for course species whilst you probably do not. In that regard Eddie, I have no answer to your local problem.

Regards,

Lee.

Lee

Thank you for your reply at a time when you are obviously busy. I still do not understand fully what the RSSG intends but three pounds seems a very small sum to find out. My email address is in my profile. Please confirm that the address posted by poldark for the cheque is correct, and what to make the cheque out to.

[ 19 February 2002, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

I`ll just get me rod!!!