River Thames - Chiswick

Martin Salisbury

I stayed in London with friends this weekend right near Chiswick Lodge on the River Thames.

Didn't take the rods but could be tempted next time. Does anybody know whether its worth fishing around this area and who has the fishing rights.

Martin

Regards,

Martin

Isn't it still regarded as tidal at that point?? If it is then it's free fishing I believe - just a licence required!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Martin

Its free fishing on the Thames below Staines.

I used to fish this stretch as a kid, although that was over twenty years ago admittedly, and we mainly caught Dace (and a lot of bootlace Eels) on stick float and maggot. I'd be interested to know what anybody else with more experience than me thinks, but there are Barbel on the lower Thames and I was wondering whether this stretch, with its steady, albeit tidal flow over a gravel bottom might have some potential.

HI Martin,as already stated,free fishing from towpath.Belive there used to be dace and some roach to be had,but the dace shoals on the lower river are but a shadow of what they used to be,however no reason that it should not throw up some fish and perhaps some surprises,if the opportunitie arrises again give it a bash.

Regards Chris :)

I love this site!

I posted my question at 7.07pm, went out and on my return at 11.30pm had enough answers and info.

The area I looked at was certainly a hard and gravelly bottom and the tide was out. I believe the Chiswick lodge gets cut off at high tide (it certainly looked that way). I might have to check out the area and give it a few hours although Tim doesn't fill me with confidence!

Next trip to London is 14th April so the close season will put a stop to that attempt at fishing

Thanks for the info Martin

Regards,

Martin

Strange place the lower Thames, I Use to stay on a boat in Kathrine dock at tower bridge,

Saw decent perch , loads of good roach,

and something I would swear was a trout , but could have been a Mullet, Only saw the body swimming away at a distance.

If these fish live up near Tower Bridge , there must be something in the backstretches at chiswick.

I'd speak to locals to determine when it fishes best (I'd wager it's on the run off) and get myself a tide table. Most tidal stretches in my (limited)experience will fish well at some point of the tide, then when the tide turns you may as well pack up and go home!