Perch on lamprey?

GlennB

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been pike fishing a while now and have never had any perch take a deadbait of any size...ust juat be the waters I fish.

Livebaits though..now your in business

I've had them on dead minnows fished under a float, but only when twitched slowly back in, not static.

We are not allowed to livebait, or even use frshwater dead baits (English lake district waters). because of that we tend to lure fish mostly, for both perch and pike. i fitted myself out with a pike fly outfit this year too, but havnt really givenit much use. the summer was so poor that each time i did manage to get the boat out i stuck to my tried and tested methods.

thanks for the welcome Newt.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I've had them on dead minnows fished under a float, but only when twitched slowly back in, not static.

We are not allowed to livebait, or even use frshwater dead baits (English lake district waters). because of that we tend to lure fish mostly, for both perch and pike. i fitted myself out with a pike fly outfit this year too, but havnt really givenit much use. the summer was so poor that each time i did manage to get the boat out i stuck to my tried and tested methods.

thanks for the welcome Newt.

Minnows are probably a good size bait for Perch....thing is I very rarely target stripeys although I've had lots on plugs & shads in the river while fishing for pike.

Freshwater deads have also been banned on some of my local waters...seems to be quite common these days.

Minnows are probably a good size bait for Perch....thing is I very rarely target stripeys although I've had lots on plugs & shads in the river while fishing for pike.

Freshwater deads have also been banned on some of my local waters...seems to be quite common these days.

It depends on the size of perch you're after. Unfortunately even small perch can swallow big minnows. Good for a mixed bag of various size perch, chub and pike though.

Freshwater deads are also banned on many of my local waters. It's a shame as I find them effective at sorting out specimen stripies. They have to be fresh rather than frozen though.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

It depends on the size of perch you're after. Unfortunately even small perch can swallow big minnows.

I agree, to target the better Perch something a little larger than a minnow is preferable. As kids we used to collect Stone loaches, ctching them in net from under stones in well oxygenated shalows of the river. They averaged larger than minnow and make great baits. We would often catch lampreys in the same area. of courese though the fis don't know the rules about bait. Both Perch to top 2 lbs this year cane to lobworms, and my best Pike hooked (but lost) tool a floatfished minnow during a Perching session.

These days I like to fish light to medium lures on a baitcaster set-up, they offer a chance for Perch, Pike and Trout.

thirlmerebigpike.jpg

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Hi all, been watching and reading this forum for ages but only joined recently, It's one of the best too!

I've got a quick question for Steve (I hope you don't mind) I'm going to Charlie's in Kingsnorth on Tuesday with 5 other MKF members, we're specifically targetting the Perch, now I know when you fished there for predators with Kev Green you fished the match lake, would you say we have a better chance on there or the main lake of a 4lb+, or the main lake, and what would you be suggesting for baits along with lobbies?

Many thanks

Neil

Hi Neil, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, you're right, the deadbaiting part of that TV program was done on Charlie's match lake. The lure part was on a pit in Oxfordshire I'd never seen and can't even remember the name of.

I've only once fished Charlie's since so I'm not up to date on which of the two waters would be the better bet. However the owner, Dave, will be able to put you right.

For how to fish the water I'd refer you to this article of mine: http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve01.htm

I'd add that Tuesday is expected to be a bright day after a cold night. If so the conditions won't be good for perch. However, I'd be surprised if you don't catch as the light fades.

Good luck, and please do let us know how you get on!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I thought I'd read all your articles before posting, and I've now read that one again, many thanks Steve, they have opened up a new horizon regarding the deadbait side of things on there, last time I fished there, I was told to use lobs as his lake is teeming with cats, some of which are very big, I used worms and all I caught were cats!! nothing on the deads in 3 days.

Weather wise I've got so many conflicting reports from different sites in the last day or so, I'm going to ask Dave if I can start at about 6.30 and will do all the rigging at home before I leave and fish well into dusk (or later if he allows), and hopefully I'll have some pics to post on here...

Once again thanks very much for your advice, I hope you are feeling better at present and I may see you at Wingham at your fish-in if I'm allowed!

Regards

Neil

I may see you at Wingham at your fish-in if I'm allowed!

All registered AN members are eligible so if you get your request in before all the places are filled, you will not only be allowed but you will be very welcome.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President