St.Ives lakes

leroyyid

Hello has anyone fished the St.Ives lakes in St.Ives near cambridge? I am fishing them at the moment and I have enjoyed some great Tench sport on the smaller lakes like, Andersons and The Ivo, but I want to know if anyone has fished the larger lakes like Long Reach, The St.Ives lagoon or the shallow lagoon, Long Reach and the meadow lake for Tench or Bream, as I have heard there are big tench and bream in all of the above lakes.

If you have fished them for Tench and Bream have you got any advice, such as baits and rigs and fishing pegs on the lakes, as they are massive pits and I don't really know where to start fishing for them, or maybe someone has some advice on finding Tench feautures like do you fish on a gravel bar or off the gravel bar in the deeper water, or shall I try shallow arears, any help would be great thanks.

Hello has anyone fished the St.Ives lakes in St.Ives near cambridge? I am fishing them at the moment and I have enjoyed some great Tench sport on the smaller lakes like, Andersons and The Ivo, but I want to know if anyone has fished the larger lakes like Long Reach, The St.Ives lagoon or the shallow lagoon, Long Reach and the meadow lake for Tench or Bream, as I have heard there are big tench and bream in all of the above lakes.

If you have fished them for Tench and Bream have you got any advice, such as baits and rigs and fishing pegs on the lakes, as they are massive pits and I don't really know where to start fishing for them, or maybe someone has some advice on finding Tench feautures like do you fish on a gravel bar or off the gravel bar in the deeper water, or shall I try shallow arears, any help would be great thanks.

Mark Barrett's your man!!

I know he has fished them in the past. I'm sure he's on the AN members list. Drop him a PM.

Shallow lagoon is pretty hot for Tench, Bream and Carp any swim along the east bank.

Colin

Edited by Colin Brett

Can't help you with the bigger lakes, but I'd appreciate any tips you could give for the tench in Andersons / Ivo as I'm fishing them for the first time in 2 weeks time :)

Mat

Mat

Can't help you with the bigger lakes, but I'd appreciate any tips you could give for the tench in Andersons / Ivo as I'm fishing them for the first time in 2 weeks time :)

Mat

Hi ya mate, I would stick to Andersons if I was you for Tench, the lakes are up a little at the moment because of the rain, but they should soon be down again, they don't take long to drain off.

Your best bet for Tench would be the bank behind the Ivo lake, where you can walk between the two lakes and one of my favourite pegs is the one on Andersons where the channel meets the main part of Andersons behind the corner of the Ivo lake, it's about 7 feet deep in the channle half way across and I would float fish there, or near the lillys and reeds at the back of the channel. But to be honest all the pegs in that channel are good, and I normally float fish, as it's not very wide or deep there. Take some expo groundbait mixed with brown crumb if you can add some crushed hemp or hemp, or halibut pellets, throw about 3-4 balls out at the start of the session. Then just lose feed after that with whatever hookbait you decide to use red maggot and caster are good early season, as is sweetcorn, but I have found lobworm to be the best hookbait, maybe because it floods a bit and they are probally used to seeing lobworms. I find they can bubble up a lot but not touch your hookbait sometimes, when using maggot, but put a worm on and you usally get a bite straight away. My other top tip is get there at the crack of dawn if you can, as they tend to feed really well from about 7 till 10ish then it can often go pretty dead all day till the next morning. But you should get a couple at least this time of year, my best catch is 12 in a morning and lost a couple and they avarage around 5-6lb with my best just under 8lb.

Hope that helps ya mate and I may see you down there, good luck and let me know how you get on, Lee

Mark Barrett's your man!!

I know he has fished them in the past. I'm sure he's on the AN members list. Drop him a PM.

Shallow lagoon is pretty hot for Tench, Bream and Carp any swim along the east bank.

Colin

Cheers Colin I will try and get in contact with him, I have fished the fjords in the past for Tench and I have caught some very good Tench with the smallest being about 7lb 4oz so they are a very good size,but it is a hard water and I don't see many people fish it, and I want to try some of the other large waters instead.

• 2 years later...

I fished the smaller pits until 2006 mainly for tench and bream found it a very hard place to fish i suppose that is why the Season ticket was was sensibly priced (£65), never fished the larger pits it was were you would find the carp boys. The two pits i concentrated on were being increasingly predated and the fish were very wary, artificial islands had been introduced on one of them to hopefully help.I found that after about midday the tench fishing then died off, it just was not worth staying on.In the five years i fished that complex of pits i never came across more than a few other fishermen on the smaller waters. Not many locals seemed to bother with them!, :unsure: Plus one of the waters was badly weeded and required a lot of clearing, at that time the tackle shop in St Ives sold season tickets but i understand it has now closed due to the owner retiring.

• 1 year later...
Hello has anyone fished the St.Ives lakes in St.Ives near cambridge? I am fishing them at the moment and I have enjoyed some great Tench sport on the smaller lakes like, Anderson's and The Ivor, but I want to know if anyone has fished the larger lakes like Long Reach, The St.Ives lagoon or the shallow lagoon, Long Reach and the meadow lake for Tench or Bream, as I have heard there are big tench and bream in all of the above lakes.

If you have fished them for Tench and Bream have you got any advice, such as baits and rigs and fishing pegs on the lakes, as they are massive pits and I don't really know where to start fishing for them, or maybe someone has some advice on finding Tench features like do you fish on a gravel bar or off the gravel bar in the deeper water, or shall I try shallow area rs, any help would be great thanks.

I have fished these pits right up until 2007 i cannot say it was the easiest of places to fish a lack of re-stocking is part of the problem,plus the predation issues.In the summer you have to deal with very dense blanket weed plus chocking Lilly pads not recommended until a hefty amount of investment takes place <_<