What a buzz, but i want more...

woodward007

Hi guys! I am a Product DEsign student in my final year currently thinking of potential design idea for one of my main/major project. I like the idea of a bait runner with alarm incorporated inside it. This has been attempted before but with all the current technology available can we push it further? So my main question is: if you were to have a reel with an alarm inside it, are there any other features electronically/software you would want? eg: indicator that tells you how long you played the fish/temp gauge/log book/time of run/weather report/distance cast? Its all software at hte end of the day-- what would be most relevant/important to you? Much Appreciated! :)

;o)

woodward007:

Hi guys! I am a Product DEsign student in my final year currently thinking of potential design idea for one of my main/major project. I like the idea of a bait runner with alarm incorporated inside it. This has been attempted before but with all the current technology available can we push it further? So my main question is: if you were to have a reel with an alarm inside it, are there any other features electronically/software you would want? eg: indicator that tells you how long you played the fish/temp gauge/log book/time of run/weather report/distance cast? Its all software at hte end of the day-- what would be most relevant/important to you? Much Appreciated! :)

Don't do much long distance carp/pike fishing but would guess a display showing the distance you've cast would go down pretty well. That way, only the direction would be down to guess work unless of course you "Whizz-Kidz" can sort that one as well.

Times/dates of Runs may also help the angler build up a picture of best fishing periods but would need quite a long history.

Suprised you've not had more responses to this post, Keep up the good work.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

woodward007:

Don't do much long distance carp/pike fishing but would guess a display showing the distance you've cast would go down pretty well. That way, only the direction would be down to guess work unless of course you "Whizz-Kidz" can sort that one as well.

Times/dates of Runs may also help the angler build up a picture of best fishing periods but would need quite a long history.

Suprised you've not had more responses to this post, Keep up the good work.

woodward007:

woodward007:

Just had another thought, how about a method by which the reel could be pre-set to a certain casting distance, say 75 mtrs and then slow and stop the cast at the correct moment. Should the cast fall short some sort of audible or visual notification to advise re-cast necessary.

Or how about a reel that senses the pick-up and the strategically applies a sudden "brake" to the flowing line to act as a sort of strike to set the hook????????

could you design one that takes itself fishing ,sets up all the stuff ,waits for a bite ,strikes ,lands and then photographs a pre-loaded picture of me holding the fish ,then after a preset time returns home and tells me all about it. this while i`m fishing somewhere else doubling my chances of a catch :D

your biggest problem would be battery size ,too small and youd be broke replacing them ,i`d say a 410amp 12v system with solar charging should fit the bill .

[ 30 July 2002, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You would at least have to include some form of drop back indication to the reel to stand a chance of being taken seriously!

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

electronic wizardry can never replace angling skill. i use bite alarms, but that's about as far as i would ever go.

fancy gizmo's in reels would be an incentive for me NOT to buy them. I'm currently on the lookout for some reels WITHOUT baitrunners, to try and save a few bob. I use baitruners for my carping, but i don't like them for pike.

i'm not sure how far reel technology can go now, but if you reckon you can take it further, then i wish you luck. all the main manufacturers seem to want to do, is cram more ball bearings inside, to make the reels "smoother" (whatever that means).

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

I agree with Eddie and in fact would go further in as much as I'd ban such a reel on my lakes unless it detected drop backs. The only exception would be if it were used in conjunction with a conventional alarm which would negate the whole exercise anyway.

If you incorporate such a drop back facility in the reel plus one that showed distance cast I reckon you'd be onto a winner.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Maybe you could incorporate a reel with a built in radio Alarm Clock for the Carpers.You could also make one with a game...like Tetris or Snake for the kids...keep the blighters off yer mobile phones.Ahh phones...you could have a reel with built in digital scales that phones the Rod and Line commitee when you've broken a pre-pogrammed species record.It could also phone your wife with a pre-programmed lie saying you'll be home shortly.A reel with a tea-pot....now that would be handy.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...