WHAT ROD FOR THE JOB

teddy

I fish a lake where only running rigs are allowed - I fish for 6LB+ bream and tench 4-8LB. the problem i have had is the feeder was too light to set the hook. I have gone up to 45g feeders. This has worked but the worry is that my rod is at its limit - it is a browning 11 foot Force Commercial Carp Feeder - Suitable for feeders to around 40gr with 2oz glass quiver tips. This rod was new this year. I am thinking of moving up to a Masterline Rovex John Wilson Signature Barbel Quiver Rod 11' - 13' - it has three push in tips 2oz and 2.75oz 3.75oz.

As i only fish at around 40 yards i am thinking of using the rod at 11 foot. I welcome any comments and thoughts on the change of rod. Anyone got one / used one?

Cheers Teddy

I fish a lake where only running rigs are allowed - I fish for 6LB+ bream and tench 4-8LB. the problem i have had is the feeder was too light to set the hook. I have gone up to 45g feeders. This has worked but the worry is that my rod is at its limit - it is a browning 11 foot Force Commercial Carp Feeder - Suitable for feeders to around 40gr with 2oz glass quiver tips. This rod was new this year. I am thinking of moving up to a Masterline Rovex John Wilson Signature Barbel Quiver Rod 11' - 13' - it has three push in tips 2oz and 2.75oz 3.75oz.

As i only fish at around 40 yards i am thinking of using the rod at 11 foot. I welcome any comments and thoughts on the change of rod. Anyone got one / used one?

Cheers Teddy

If you can only use running rigs then a ten pond lead wouldn't be heavy enough to set the hook !

You could use heavy bobbins with a tight line if you want to self hook the fish. Angle your rods down and point them directly towards your bait. I don't know much about the rods your after.

Edited by Tigger

I'm with Tigger. If you want a self hooking set-up I'd get rid of the quivertips and use a running lead/feeder of about 1.5oz, short hooklength (4" or so), point the rod directly at the lead, fish a tight line with heavy bobbins and wait until the bobbin drops back or 'dances'.

Or, just fish your quivertip with whatever sized lead/feeder you need to get the distance and strike at the bites :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cheers Teddy

hi teddy theres nothing wrong about the rod your using and as tiger said because ur using free running lead or feeder you dont rely on the bolt effect hooking the fish . all you need to do is choose your feeder size depending on how much feed you want to put out each time and chuck it out then set a decent angle against the feeder and wind carefully to just set a bend in tip but not to much as to move the feeder ( very important not to move the method feeder) if your using cage feeder or bomb or similar you can afford to move it and it wont matter so much. once youve set a bend then when the fish bites the resistance from the tip acts as your bolt to set the hook (or at least should) and the tip should fly round . or if the fish swims towards the feeder or bomb then you get a back drop and the tip will spring back also hooking the fish (in theory anyway) but you should strike anyway . the browning rod your using is a good soft through action so id keep it . sorry about long winded responce , im new to forum but will learn to sum up with less words.cheers

Cheers Teddy

Or you could use the rod for its intended design and strike when you get a bite to set the hook instead of relying on the feeder to act as a bolt rig, that way you won't have to buy a new rod

Or you could use the rod for its intended design and strike when you get a bite to set the hook instead of relying on the feeder to act as a bolt rig, that way you won't have to buy a new rod

thats a bit less winded than what i said , and absolutely true . we ask to much from our fish to hook themselves and jump in the net

Thanks to all for advice.

I should have said that bite alarms are banned on the water. I went up in weight to stop being had by the tench - they were sucking up the 8mm pellet - hair rigged on a 4-inch hook link connected to a 30g flat Preston method feeder. I am very happy to keep using quiver tips; I just feel the browning rod is struggling with the 45g feeder with bait. I had the John Wilson Signature Barbel Quiver Rod at 1.75 test curve in mind, especially if I hooked a rogue carp. I know there is the Shimano Beastmaster Medium Feeder Rod and the 1.5lb Korum Multi-Feeder rod as well – too many to chose from. Has anyone used any of these rods? Should I stick with the browning?

Teddy