auastralian fishing

Stefnc

Hi all, Im off to australia on xmas day, has anyone done any fishing around cairns ?

I just wondered what sort of tackle i should take and what size braid etc i should take?

many thanks in advance!

Steve

Do a search for Ausie fishing forums esp that area and you will get all tyour answers ,Great fun on those forums at the moment what with the Ashes an all ;) .

TBH you can by a rod/reel set up that would be perfect for fishing off there jettys/rocks for not a lot of dosh which negates the need for waiting for oversize lugauge if you take your own full size stuff ,Sure Ken L /Vagabond etc can give you some pointers Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Steve,

I'm off to Perth on Thursday and I've just packed my 10' telescopic spinning rod, a fixed spool reel loaded with 8lb line, some spoons and assorted lures, a few old boyant floats (not sea floats, I don't own any!) some split shot, forceps and assorted hooks from size 10 -6!

I'll dangle my line off the end of a jetty with a bit of bread flake on the hook and and see what pulls back!!

Have a great trip

John

Hi all, Im off to australia on xmas day, has anyone done any fishing around cairns ?

I just wondered what sort of tackle i should take and what size braid etc i should take?

many thanks in advance!

Steve

I lived in Cairns for a couple of years back in the late '60s.

Then, we'd fish the beaches, coral reefs, pier, harbour wall and mangrove creeks with a simple handline baited with 'green' (raw) prawn.

Caught plenty, but often smashed up, bitten off by something a bit bigger than usual.

Since those days, Cairns has become a sport-fishing mecca (there are some huge black marlin out beyond the reefs.

I guess it all depends upon what kind of fishing you intend doing.

Out on the charter boats fishing the reefs, the skipper should have everything you need.

Otherwise it's a case of going along to a tackle-shop and asking where to fish, and what you need (and what regulations you need to comply with, they are pretty hot on enforcement).

Just for a short trip, I'd be inclined to take a lure-fishing outfit and look at fishing the creeks and pier, and try to arrange at least one charter trip.

Try googling 'Cairns fishing' 'Cairns tackle' and you'll get a better idea of the possibilities.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I went out on a charter trip from the Whitsundays while I was there, we caught Trevally, Tuna of various types, Spanish Mackeral. Incidentally the Trevally I caught that day is the best tasting fish I've ever eaten!

There's Barramundi in the Rivers of that region..................as well as Crocodiles so be careful and also Box Jellyfish in the salt and brackish water depending on the time of year!

many thanks in advance!

Steve

G'day mate, I live within cooee of the Whitsundays and can say that you will be 'blown away' with the fishing in the Cairns area.

It depends entirely on what species you want to target; like are you after game fish, pelagics, reefies or beach fish?

Game fish, you will need big gear 50 lb line plus. Charters provide all gear.

Pelagics, you will need a mininmum of 20 lb braid, a decent 6-7 ft spinning, or trigger grip rod depending on your reel choice, 4000 series spinning reel, or ABU 5600 style overhead reel. Metal type slices are good to heave out and retrieve as fast as you can wind.

Reefies, you will need (if you go on a boat) 40 lb handline, or a boat rod loaded with 50 lb line.

Beach fishing, a 10 ft rod tied to a spinning reel with 15 lb line will be ok.

Suggest that you contacct this mob and arrange a day charter. They supply all gear.

http://www.fishingcairns.com.au/page4.html

http://www.aquacat.com.au/

Saltwater barra are off limits from Nov to Feb in order to spawn. You can, however, get a charter to fish for huge barra at Tinaroo Dam.

Remember that it is the WET season.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Steve,

I'm off to Perth on Thursday and I've just packed my 10' telescopic spinning rod, a fixed spool reel loaded with 8lb line, some spoons and assorted lures, a few old boyant floats (not sea floats, I don't own any!) some split shot, forceps and assorted hooks from size 10 -6!

I'll dangle my line off the end of a jetty with a bit of bread flake on the hook and and see what pulls back!!

Have a great trip

John

John, try to get out on a "Sambo" trip over Christmas while you are in Perth. It is claimed to be the best jig fishing in the world and while I can't say that that is true, it is incredible fishing. Fish are well cared for and returned. If you want to know more call me on 9405 1641 when you are in Perth and I will help where I can. The pictures are of fairly regular sized sambo and until you have felt one of them fight, you haven't fought a fish!

img1559m.jpg

img1587u.jpg

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.