Sodding dog owners

Rykko

Had a pleasant days fishing yesterday severely disrupted by 5 different dog owners encouraging their mutts to swim around beside my swim, even to the extent of one young lady repeatedly throwing a tennis ball in for the dog to retrieve. Requests to desist were met with the usual, 'You dont own this chuffing river, if my dog wants to swim I'll let him.'

Such a gorgeous looking young filly too.........:-(

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately she was right. You don't own the river (well you might, but I doubt it).

It is a sad fact of life that people are becoming less tolerant and considerate of each other. Boat users, dog walkers, cyclists, duck feeders, even sadly anglers.

The best bet is not to get wound up, but to up sticks and go somewhere quieter. It doesn't half p!ss you off though.

Where's the 'ANY' key?

I get my revenge on the wet muddy winter days. When the dog owners don't want their dog to get to wet and muddy, for the back of the car.

As the dog runs over to pee up the back of your bivvy just chuck a slice of bread into the water. and watch rover jump in after it! :D One bit wet stinking dog.

Bretty

[ 08. August 2002, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Bretty ]

Bretty:

As the dog runs over to pee up the back of your bivvy just chuck a slice of bread into the water. and watch rover jump in after it! :D One bit wet stinking dog.

Bretty

Now that is class!!!

:D

I was fishing the other day and a big black labrador came over when I wasn'nt looking and started on my groundbait..maggots,casters and all.The guy who was walking the dog had been shouting for about 5 mins for his dog to return.The dog was'nt in any mood for doing what it was told and the guy was'nt going out of his way to come and lead the dog.I kicked the dog right in the arse and dragged it over to his now infuriated owner.He said "Who the F*** d'you think you are?".I assume he was referring to my zealous control of his mutt.I said "Listen mate,that pooch is well out of control,you don't f****** care what it does so if it comes over and starts on my bait (which I do own) I have to take control,OK?"

I pointed out that if that had been a Rottweiler,a Mastiff or some other breed that requires a "Master",I would have called the police,and quite right.

Now I don't own the water and I can't stop people walking dogs but dog owners are required to keep control of thier animals.The law says so.Just point out to them that if their dog is out of control or behaving in a menacing manner then the police CAN and WILL take the dog away.How the owner goes about getting the animal back is not your concern...it's the owners.

Dont be afraid to point this out to folk.It was'nt that long ago that dogs were front page news if they sniffed a leg,never mind bit someone.People are not allowed to roam freely to the annoyance of other people and neither are dogs.

By the way...I do actually like dogs. :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

nice one andy :D

lol, i once was fishing the river kent in kendal for trout on fly, and after creeping along the band to get a good cast at a rising trout, suddenly i see this big jolly smiling woman stand next to me, chuck a great big log in for her dog in my swim!and then start merrily chatting away about it being a nice morning and asked me how the fishing was going....... :D

I dont think she had a clue that i wouldnt apprciate her mutt swimming in my swim!

i was polite and just left to fish somewhere else, couldnt be bothered to explain!

A bit OT but I have always wondered why on playing fields theay have a little area fenced off for kids to play in while dogs can run and crap all over the rest?

Seems the priority is a bit awry.

With the young kid's feeding the ducks say to them theres an Otter over there (and then point to the spot were your fishng and say squeese the bread into a ball and then through it there and he will eat it. There you go youv'e got free ground bait.)!!! :D:D:D:P

As a dog owner myself i sometimes take mine with me and she's quite content to sleep on my bed inside my bivvy,but i totally agree there are some a******e dog owners who just don't give a s**t ( and don't pick it up neither - nothing worse when you find a nice swim big enough for your bivvy and there it is ....)

On lighter note I was piking on a local river last winter and took my labrador with me - only one on the bank, when i got caught up on a snag.The line snapped off and i watched my quite expensive pike float trotting off down the river and so did the dog.

So she follows it along the bank for about 20 yards,jumps in, retrieves it and brings it back to me saved me a bit a money . :D