Noodling for catfish???????

Mally

Got this very strange story sent to my e-mail today in kind of a juk type e-mail, ive never heard of anything like it before, do people actually do this?

Noodling is a method of fishing under the edges of rocks first recorded back in the 1700's by James Adair and practiced among Southern Indians. The diver would pull off their red breeches, or their long strip of Stroud cloth, and, wrapping it around their arm, so as to reach the lower part of the palm of their right hand, they dive under the rock where catfish lie to shelter themselves from the scorching beams of the sun, and to watch for prey. The catfish would spot the "prey" and swallow it with great enthusiasm, mistaking it for a real fish. The diver then seizes the voracious fish and struggles with it against the rock and at last is able to bring the shocked fish back to shore. Noodling, Hogging, Grabbling, Stumping, or Dogging. Whatever you call it, this is the most primitive style of cat-fishing known. This is and can be, a very dangerous way to fish. It has even been nicknamed extreme fishing and is not for the weak of heart, it is possible for one to lose their life doing this. Catfish have sandpaper-like teeth, which can scrape or shred your skin. Sticking to a rod and reel is the best way to catch a cat fish since many states deem it illegal to noodle and other states have a variety of restrictions.

bought a chinese kit from tesco the other day didnt get any catfish but it went down with a curry :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

For real. Also done in deeper water (but not too deep for standing) by reaching into hollow logs and such to feel for a head and then grabbing the fish.

Usually the man wins but large catfish drown a few every year.

From the fishing retulations for the state of Arkansas, USA

quote:

Hogging/Noodling - grabbing fish by hand. You may not hog or noodle game fish. The season for hogging rough fish, such as buffalo, carp, catfish, suckers or drum for personal use is August 1 through October 31, north and west of U.S. Highway 67; June 1 through October 1, south and east of Highway 67.

It work OK as long as

1. The cat is smaller than you are

2. It really was a cat rather than a large turtle or snake

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

cant be the buffalo we think of (shaggy things with big heads and horns ,killed by the herd for 1 or 2 by indians before we did it properly )because ofcourse america doesnt have any and proberly never did.i expect its a fish :) do i win $5

[ 11. August 2002, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Portlanders do something similar with crabs.

They know all the holes that the hen crabs shelter in whilst 'spilling' their old shell and before their new one hardens.

At low water they go around the rocky shoreline, sticking their feet in the submerged holes to feel for the hen crabs that usually have a cock crab on top of them for protection.

The problem is that the cock crab can trap the feet against the top of the hole. With a rising tide, this can be dangerous.

Soft crab is the best hook bait there is for conger, summer wrasse and most anything.

Jim Roper

http://www.searchlineuk.com/FishList.htm

http://www.thisisdorset.net

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Chesters1 - a fish for sure. Two of them in fact; bigmouth and smallmouth. Somewhat similar to carp but harder to catch.

Phone probably fishes for them more than carp. More of a challange I suppose and he lives where they are plentiful.

Bigmouth Buffalo - Ictiobus cyprinellus - can get to 80lbs. Harder to catch than the smallmouth.

buff-lg-1.jpg

buff-lg-2.jpg

Smallmouth Buffalo - Ictiobus bubalus. Diet is mostly shellfish (which it crushes with pharengyl teeth :D ) and algae. Very similar to carp in feeding habits I think and have been captured to 90lbs.

buff-sm-1.gif

And we have never had land-dwelling buffalo over here except in zoos. Bison, yes (great beasts with horns and shaggy heads) but no buffalo. BTW - buffalo do have horns but not the long, shaggy hair of bison.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

thats what i said :D wheres my $5

for some reason (as mentioned in the post) you put a hen under it :D sounds a bit foul to me but if it works (well thats my excuse anyway ) :D

I read a book called 'Noodling For Flatheads' by Burkhard Bilger (real name seemingly!) only last year. It basically investigated various Southern sports & pastimes (like cock fighting, squirrel hunting, moonshine, backwood marbles etc etc.) as well as noodling for catfish. Interesting book - here's an Amazon link (and it's now in a cheper paperback as well).

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.