Eel Antics!

tappilappi

Could any of the eel/pike anglers on the forum please help me with a problem

I have been having this last few days?

Pike fishing on my local gravel pits, I have been plagued by eels hitting my baits.

Lives, deads, legered, float-fished, top-water, popped-up, you name it they are going for it!

The only trouble is, I cannot hook them. I can get them about half way in then they let go!

I would dearly love to catch one of the (larger) eels, so could anyone help me with either:

1. A (pike safe) rig to hook the larger eels.

2. A pike rig/bait that the eels will leave alone.

PS I am not very good at lures.

PPS Looking back through my diary, I had this same problem about this time last year.

Are the eels fattening up ready for migration?

Thanks.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I wanted to catch a good size eel, I would ledger with the old time favourite, good size lobby's, thread two up the line and one on to a size 4 hook, then pull the threaded ones back down onto the hook. This gives you irresistible bunch of bait, let them take it for a run before you strike,it always worked for me, and I've caught plenty in my time. Try it and good luck.

Hereford_angler:

I have the same problem on my local river. I just lure fish instead and it works great. I think catching pike on a lure is more fun to! I agree with the other guy about the eel rig. Lob worms wont fale you! :)

Hi " the other guy " here, I agree that lure fishing is great fun, but it is just another method, don't forget that when lure fishing you need to move about, its a bit silly to stand in one spot all day lure fishing, you could also use the fly, or spin, in between dead or live baiting, especialy if you are restricted in respect of available pegs.

From what I can see of the design of the boat (and a guess at their age) the pike are probably long since dead. I don't think they are a particularly long-lived species.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Re. worms/maggots (either or in combination) I only get the smaller eels.

As for lures, well they just don't give me the same buzz as a bait caught pike, although I will keep on trying them. (I have just borrowed a jerk bait rod for the coming week.)

Note: Most of my sessions are weekday evenings, 5pm to 9pm.

Newt:

From what I can see of the design of the boat (and a guess at their age) the pike are probably long since dead. I don't think they are a particularly long-lived species.

Maybe your right I beleive they used to kill them for food, thats the only reason that could justify killing the one on the left, but I think you would only be able to suck the bones on the tiddlers on the right. They used to eat carp too perhaps I, or someone can find a picture of a proud angler, who enjoys the sport/hobby as much as this one does, holding three dead baby carp.

I went to my local lake the other day to help clean and sort it out abit and i got talking to an old fella and i aske him about the eels in the lake and how to catch em. he told me to thread a peice of cotton wool on the hook and then a load of lobs. I know it sounds a bit odd but one thing i have learnt is that with age comes wisdom :D i havent tryed it might be worth trying though.