Tidal rivers/close season

Howard 13

Can anyone give me a definate yes/no as to whether you are allowed to fish tidal rivers during the close season.

I keep hearing different things like yes you can as long you're fishing for trout,with worms etc,etc.

Cheers.

HB.

If you want a definative answer I think you'd be best to give your local EA office a call and ask (0845 9333111). My understanding of it however is this : you cannot set out to catch coarse fish. You can fish for eels but there are restrictions on bait and hook size (not sure what they are as I don't do it). You can fish for migratory fish (ie salmon & trout) if they are in season but again you are restricted to the baits you can use (minnow, worm and prawn I think) but you have to have a migratory fish licence which costs a lot more than the standard licence (£60.00).

Even here though I have some doubts - there's a statement in the North West byelaws that quite specifically states that fishing for eels in non-tidal waters is not allowed during close season, yet I'd aways been told that eel fishing was legal.

A phone call is probably best.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

A few years ago several anglers were fined for fishing in the close season on the Tidal Nene, immediately below the Dog-in-a-Doublet sluice on the North Bank. Fishing anywhere where coarse fish can survive is likely to get you a heavy fine.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Thanks for the replies.Thanks for the number David, I shall give them a ring.

The reason I asked is because yesterday whilst taking the dogs for a walk I saw what I thought was a salmon trying to jump over a small sluice on the tidal side of my local river.

I've seen a few people fish this place out of season but on the other hand I've seen alot of people fishing definate non tidal places recently as well.

Cheers, and I'll post back what the EA have to say on the matter.

HB.

I contacted my EA office with regard to this very issue , as I wanted to fish for mullet. They said (in writing) that that was ok by them as long as accepted mullet tactics and gear were used , and that any coarse or migratory fish caught inadvertantly were returned .

They aldo said fly fishing would be ok.

Howard 13:

Just rang the EA and was told that you're only allowed to fish for flounder & mullet using baits for those fish.

So no is the answer really.

HB.

My understanding is that you are not allowed to fish for coarse fish on rivers during the close season.

But you are allowed to fish for sea species.

There is an area on all rivers where both coarse and sea fish mix. The salt water, being more dense, flows beneath the fresh (well that's the theory!) Fish will move between the layers, some more than others.

It's up to you to convince the EA that the method and bait you are using is targetted at sea species.

Live-bait a pouting for bass, and you could hook a pike.

Stick float bread for mullet, and you might hook a carp.

This time of year, I'm fishing the Medway estuary with bread for mullet, but with the same tackle and techniques as I'd be using for chub upriver. (A friend landed a 10oz roach last year, not very far upriver from where I fish!)

A couple of years or so ago, someone in the EA caused a furore amongst sea anglers, when they said that fishing from the beach for eels without a freshwater licence is an offence, because eels are officially classified as a freshwater fish!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi all,

I thought I`d provide you with the official stance regards the byelaws in the North west, They WILL be differant around the country so you will have to check first as regions vary greatly,

The byelaws in the north west, (were I am from) state;

"The annnual close season for eels in non tidal parts of rivers, streams and parts of rivers canalised for navigational purposes shall bethe period from the 15th day of March to and including the 15th day of June following. There shall be no close season for fishing for eels with rod and line in tidal waters, *There shall be no close season for fishing for eels with instruments other than rod and line in waters not frequented by salmon and trout.* it shall belawful to fish for eels with a rod and line during the annual close season for rainbow trout.

(nw8 11/10/89).

I hope this helps,

Tony B.T Jolley