PIKE AND DEAD-BAITS

greg long

I fished the 1st pike competition of the winter on Sunday, got drenched, now have a cold! :(

Found the fish reluctant to run. The 2 I got just cocked the dead-bait float and didn't run.

The same thing happened last year, thus I knew a quick strike would connect. But, why are the Pike no longer inclined to run when picking up Dead-baits?

Incidently last year if the fish were left with the bait and not struck, they sat for 2 minuites then dropped them.

I wonder how many of the anglers fishing ledgered baits never knew they had been picked up.

ANY IDEAS??????????

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Pike do not always give blistering runs after picking up a deadbait. One of the main reasons for a run is that other pike are around and the fish picking up the bait is taking it to a place where it can munch it in 'comfort'. If the pike are not really hungry they can pick a bait up and just sit still with it, even a livebait would not evoke an aggressive response. I suppose this is a good reason for keeping a tight as line as possible to your bait. I remember John Wilson writing about troting a live dace in a weirpool and a group of pike would grab the dace just on the point of their mouths, but made no attempt to neck the bait. Any attempt to strike just pulled the bait out of the pike's jaws.

If the weather is wet and windy,(ie low pressure) the pike may be lying on the bottom not really moving, in a semi torpid state. It may take just a slight rise in pressure to get them moving again. Were the two fish you caught covered in leeches? This is a sure sign that they have not been moving for some time.

I suppose in the end only the pike know!

:D:D

Jonboy

Pike don't need to always swim off with a dead bait, they know its dead and not going anywhere. Like wise they are not always hungry and wanting to feed. Having watched pike at close quarters on many occaisions my findings are that, on most occaisions when pike swim off with a dead bait it is to keep the fish/bait away from other pike in the immediate area. Other species of fish react in the same way as do many other animals in the wild. Birds are a prime example.

This natural response from pike proves the need for sensitive bite indication like an un-weighted pencil float, a heavy drop back indicator or minimum 2oz lead weight all fished in conjunction with a sensitive electronic alarm where even a single bleep should be investigated by the angler.

Alan.

Scott:

Has the water been fished a lot recently? Finiky bites are a good sign of angling pressure.

I would have thought with your experience Greg you would have more answers than most people here.

Scott.

No this is something that has only started in the last 2 years. The Pike literally don't move the bait more than 2 or 3 inches!! hold it for a short while and then drop it. :confused:

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Alan Pearce:

Greg, have more dead baits been used on the water during the past two years, and or more anglers pike fishing there?

Alan.

Pike angling is more popular now, but this seems to happen on three different waters so far, Our busy waters would be "Undiscovered" water in the UK. None are really hard fished. As far as dead-baits go Live bait has been banned here for many years so all Piking is with either dead-bait or lures.

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

It's happened to me quite a lot, I'd say more often than not. Especially when fishing with a bait suspended beneath afloat.

Often the float just gives the gentlest of bobs, then remains still, but a strike shows the pike definitely has the bait.

In very clear water, I watched a pike swim up to a bait. No movement from the float and I couldn't see whether it had taken the bait or not.

Result, a deep-hooked fish. Never again!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Its happened to me before during the winter. I thought my float lifted up a bit but decided i was mistaken. When i realled in there was teeth marks in my deadbait! I use dace as bleak as live baits now and have more luck. Dont think that you need a big bait to catch big pike. I had a 17lb on a live bleak last winter.

Regards

Ed 'Herefords bagging machine'

www.kingfisher-club.vze.com