Berkley Invisible

Rogerb

I believe Grand Max is distributed by Gardner in the heavier breaking strains and by Preston in the lighter ones, although in both cases under different names. Your tackle shop should be able to help. Either way it's excellent flourocarbon.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roger B

There's Berkley Vanish and Sufix Invisiline and Ashima Poltergeist (among others)

These are fluorocarbon lines which are less visible to the human eye in water

They are expensive, and as you say, need certain particular knots.

They do have certain applications e.g. as hook-lengths in very heavily pressured waters, but as main lines I think they're a waste of money and have other disadvantages e.g. their higher density can cause ring heating etc

The Really :cool: Geezer

Rog, mate

I have just come across an article all about these fluorocarbon invisible lines if you're interested in checking it out

It's in the Top Tackle Section under Lines sorry MONOS Fluorocarb at http://members.lycos.co.uk/lureangler/

It talks about knots etc

check it out

The :cool: Geezer

Yes, knotless knot, palomar, and water knot have all worked for me with Berkly vanish for carp to 20+.

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

OK. Fluorocarbon line. Got it.

The knots that Eddie and others have mentioned hold fine with fluoro lines.

For hooklengths, the Vanish should be fine - probably.

For a mainline, unless they have improved this stuff, I'd look for another brand. Vanish, the only times I used it (2 spools) had weak spots in it. Would snap at strange times. The only bad line I've ever used from Berkley.

There are just too many good fluorocarbon lines out there for me to risk that brand again.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Having only used fluorocarbons as hook lengths

and also tried several brands,I can thoroughly

recommend ESP Ghost.The Berkley Vanish is not

very reliable at all.

Inside every old person is a young one wondering what the hell happened!

RogerB.

any knot used is only as good as the person who ties it. I carry out a simple test thus.

put a broom handle between two chair backs (like a bridge). Tie a hook to the line with the knot you want to use. Tie the other end to the broom handle, leaving a distance of about two feet from the hook to the floor. Now hang a bucket from the hook, then drop stuff into the bucket, like stones or bricks. When the line or knot breaks and the bucket drops to the floor, pick it up and wheigh it. This gives the breaking strain of the knot/line combination.

This may sound a bit complicated, but it isn't really, it only takes five minuites.

Berkeley line strengths are a bit over stated, so you may be surprised.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

WOW – many thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread and provided advice, links etc etc, its all much appreciated.

I popped into my local tackle shop this lunchtime and after chatting with them am probably going to buy a low diameter mono after all!! Dammed if I can’t remember the name now though. If it helps it was £5.99 for a 150m spool and the 8lb stuff is 0.17” dia. The box had a little table on the back listing the diameters and the B/S for each in kilograms and pounds. I will post what it is tomorrow if no one can spot it from this rather crude description.

Thanks again.

Roger.