Compare ShakespeareMach 3 XT 035 & SPro Red Arc?

Hopinc

Hi Newt,

Yes, we are talking about the same technique - I expect to be using drop shot weights in the 1/8oz to 1/4oz range. I guess my comments about "relatively heavy" weights threw you a little.

What I should have said is that rods particular to this method generally are able to cast a greater range of weights (because of their backbone), say from 3.5g to 28.4g (1/8oz to 1oz), normally a range that would exceed most spinning rods operating in light line ratings.

We are both in total agreement about the sensitivity of the tip - that is crucial. Actually, I am looking forward to trying one of these highly sensitive tipped rods for trout spinning as well. I have long wanted a rod of this action, as I believe that UK anglers have been missing a lot of "feel" from the spinning process.

Thank you for your kind offer of sourcing a rod for me - I don't think it will be necessary to go that far as I am pretty much decided on the Greys Prowla Platinum 7ft 2-pice rod.

Regards and tight lines all,

Dave

Regards,

Dave

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The "relatively" thing is always a bit tricky since the norms are so different US vs. UK and even after a bunch of years on this forum, I'm often unsure about meanings.

Sourcing your gear locally is always best when it is possible so glad you know of a rod that will fit your needs. It would be great to hear some details of your results (with some photos too - we love photos) 1942.gif once the weather improves a bit.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Re the pictures - will try to do, although I normally travel as light as possible. I like to keep on the move and not be weighed down by too much junk.

I fish alone, and nobody ever seems to be present when I catch what you Americans call "lunkers."

I suppose I should at least carry a camera. In the past I have missed out on recording and 8.5lb Chub and a 22.75lb Pike from my local canal, plus a 6.5lb wild brown (my usual quarry) that fought like a demon for 15 minutes on a 5 weight fly rod and 3lb tippet. That fish new all the tricks :D

I think this post is about done so I thank you all for your contributions, they have been most helpful.

Tight lines,

Dave

Regards,

Dave

In the past I have missed out on recording and 8.5lb Chub

I think this post is about done so I thank you all for your contributions, they have been most helpful.

It's just got interesting! An eight and a half pound chub? Really?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi Budgie,

Why a fixed spool reel - only because this reel has to meet dual functions - trotting and drop shotting.

I must admit that amongst the reels I have been considering is the ABU 706. ABU seem to have got it right with the brass shaft, the "pipe" cleaners and ventilated spool.

Two things put me off just a little - the plastic body and the lack of any information as to how many (if any) ball bearings it has. I know that there is one other option in the closed face reel arena, the Daiwa 125M, but of the two nearly everyone raves about the 706 most.

I have not totally dismissed any of these reels yet, I am just looking for feedback, and you are all helping me to make my decision.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

I hope this post reaches you in time because this is what i replied to grumpalot on jan 7th.

Ive got abu 501s and 506 507s and 505 with the red body , ive collected them over the years and reconditioned them

i still use the 507 on certain silverfish venues and theres nothing today that can match it , ive tried the newer daiwa 125m reel and it was rubbish , just no feel to it and made very poorly and sounded awfull.

Ive just made a swingtip rod and i will try it with 1 of the abu's , it makes sense grumpalot so thanks for the advice.

I forgot to mention to grumpalot that ive got the abu 704 premier that is the model before the 706 and i use it for pellet waggler work for carp and it is just so perfect it is a pleasure to use , its as good as the original swedish made 501 , 503 , 505 , 506 and 507s and you can still buy this one new .

The other great thing with the 704 and 706 apart from lasting forever is a synchro drag system which allows you to backwind a quarter turn and you are on the drag system then when you are ready to get back line just start cranking .

I havent got the 706 because the 704 is everything i need and from the specifications ive read it is almost identicle

It may seem strange but i havent fished rivers for nearly 20 years and thats what abu closed faced reels were intendid for , but i use my 507 and 704 for all stillwater float and waggler work because for match fishing its just much cleaner and faster and never lets me down

You can probebly get the 704 for 20 pounds less than the 706 but i dont know for sure , but what i do know is that whatever abu you choose you will not be dissapointed and youll only ever need to buy the one , unless you like collecting them like me .

Hope ive helped , all the best

Edited by tony tinca

It may seem strange but i havent fished rivers for nearly 20 years and thats what abu closed faced reels were intendid for

As far as I was aware they where made for spinning but I actually use mine for everything from float fishing for tench to light ledgering.

IMO the origional 501 is the best closed faced reel ever produced by Abu or anyone else.

Edited by Tigger

As far as I was aware they where made for spinning but I actually use mine for everything from float fishing for tench to light ledgering.

IMO the origional 501 is the best closed faced reel ever produced by Abu or anyone else.

totally agree tigger, when pleasure fishing I alternate between my collection of 501s , 503, 505 , 506 , 507s to give each one an outing and pretty much use them for everything apart from method feeder , then i use a shimano dl 2500 which is a lovely little reel.

Ive just swapped my 704 to my 1044 which is another lovely closed face for pellet waggler work. I find it strange that i dont see anyone else on the match scene using a closed face reel for this because it just makes a method that relies on speed with the constant winding in and casting out that much faster and more accurate i find.

I use my 501s and 507s for all other float and waggler work for silvers, it was unbeatable 30 years ago and in my opinion still the best way to cast and controll a float .

Sorry your right they were originally made for spinning and then picked up by match anglers for use on rivers where most matches were still held :)

Hello,

Sorry about that, I thought we had about done.

Eight and half pounds Chub, yes. I caught it on a shallow diving fast vibrating mini lure that I bought from the old Harris Angling company (before it changed hands). Unfortunately, like a lot of other lures, this one is no longer available. I still have it though (see picture). Picture 2 shows where it normally resides inside my canal lure box.

On the day in question, I came across a small dinghy moored at appx. 90 degrees to the opposite bank, and knowing this was a likely spot for a predator to be, cast the lure down the r/h side of the boat. First cast, nothing. Second cast, the fish hit the lure. It did not put up a startling fight as might be expected, I think it was too surprised and found itself in the net before it had time really react. I must admit that I thought from the first pull that it might have been a Perch, imagine my surprise!

When I am roaming the banks of the canal I wear a 24in peel net on my back, and I had a bit of a struggle to get the fish into it. I was very surprised when it registered 8.5lbs on my digital scales. I looked around for a whitness, but there was no one around -this being about 6.30 am on a misty, but clearing, Sunday morning in late October.

Next time I visited that particular spot the boat had gone, and I have never came across that fish again.

Just returning to the reel for a moment, I have made my choice and ordered a Mach 3 XT 035 off Ebay - I think it was a good price at £48 inc. of postage. I'll let you know what I think when I receive it.

Regards all,

Dave

post-20982-1294670242_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Dave

"Sorry about that, I thought we had about done."

You can never tell about topics on here. Some of them run on for hundreds of posts and seem to take on a life of their own. Have a look at the "Big Bream" one that is now at over 1000 posts over nearly three years. You only need to stay with it for as long as it interests you though.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have another question for you guys,

I know that I am knew here, and an unknown entity, but my posts still being viewed by the forum moderator. This is something I have never experienced on all the forums that I am a member of (most regarding none fishing subjects).

Are everybody's posts scrutineered before they appear?

In my last post I said that I would attach a picture of what is in my canal lure box, unfortunately I failed to do that. Here it is for anyone that might be interested - I am also trying to give the moderator a feel for my seriousness here.

When I fish the canal I take very little with me. A single rod, baitcaster, wire traces, landing net and this lure case. I might cover 2-3 miles out and back in a 4 hour session. Sometimes I take a soft plastic bait or spinnerbait box.

I have two favourite rods - one was custom made for me - a 7ft Corvette (rated 14 to 56gms) and the other a single handed Loomis baitcaster, 5ft 6in medium heavy action (1/4 to 3/4oz). I have other rods rated for heavier work, but these are the two I use most.

Any other lure anglers amongst us that would like to show us their favourite fishing tackle.

Dave

post-20982-1294683344_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Dave