Distance Carping

Rob Ward

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Terry says 100 aint that far at all.You can invitabley cast further than you can bait up from the bank.I have never liked bait boats,not an ethics thing just dont think they spread the bait how I like it.Spodding has limitations over 75m as the bait tends to come out in mid (more acurately 3/4 flight) not used the ones with gates etc so cant comment there.If I really want to fish a feature over the ton mark then its rowing out in a proper boat (not those dangerous "seaside" toy inflatables)for me.

I wouldnt get to worried about style untill you need to cast a lot further.Then go and get a few lessons from a decent casting instructor.You can normally find a few of these in the Sea Angler magazine.

As for your gear,it wasnt that long ago when a 2 1/2lb-2 3/4lb fast taper rod,coupled with a 8lb mainline and shock leader was the norm for distance fishing!So your out fit is ideal.

Oh, I personally have never been able to use a throwing stick much over 75m but have seen some who can bait up with them up to just short of the ton.

I agree that using a proper boat isnt ideal ie some waters wont allow it and the need to trail/launch/recover but if you are just worried about disturbing the swim dont!You can always row to a comfortable catapult distance.

[ 28. April 2004, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Peter Waller:

But if I had to cast out there I would stand with my left foot at five to the hour and my right foot twenty five past the hour, bringing my right foot to the o'clock as the rod went forward of the upright. Bit like putting the shot, as in athletics!

It takes you an hour and five minutes to cast a rod Peter? Good grief, you are getting old!!...lol

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

With that gear and practice you should soon be able to reach the mark with ease.

I use a casting trigger when beach casting and it has saved me from a world of pain (burnt and cut hands and fingers really do hurt in the winter).

You have to use a 60lb leader or the leader will slip.

I think but I am not sure but is the British record distance cast held by a bloke who whacked out a simple overhead cast with very beefed up carp gear?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

That was an old trick employed by Beachcaster types using fixed spools Peter. The idea was, the further the reel was from the butt-ring, the lesser the effect of friction when the line came off the spool in coils. Multiplier casters didn't need to employ this method because the line came straight off the reel and frictionless..almost.

I think they also believed that the right hand should have no other job than delivering power. Apparently, an extended finger for casting interfered with a smooth delivery. I don't believe it myself much.

As for Carp rods etc. I challenged my mate 3 years ago to a distance casting 'tourney'. Him with his trusty beach rod and me with a carp rod. I won hands down.

I'm pretty sure the likes of Paul Kerry could really go to town with some of todays 3-4lb TC carp rods and a B/pit reel loaded with braid. No line diamter, no stretch, no shock-leader and no shock-knot to contend with.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Distance carp fishing? How about in Australia. There are plenty there.

But, seriously. You're about to fish a pit and already decided to cast 100 yards to the obvious feature. Where do you think everybody else will be casting?

Instead of complicating things with talk of tournament casting techniques, try a bit of watercraft. Or, if you can't handle that, try betting odds...

If there are 20 anglers on the water and all are casting to that island, the odds against you getting the run are 20 to 1 against.

On the other hand, if 19 of them are fishing like the mindless morons they're likely to be and you chuck your baits about in the rest of the lake, anything that's away from that feature has your only your baits to eat.

Why does fishing have to be so complicated? Fish aren't.

Fenboy

fenboy - nice to see you've mellowed in the time you were away. :D:D

Welcome back.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Oh dear, does it show? If you want to see angry, try joining the queue at LA International for two hours for "security"... hearing constant reminders about how dangerous is for passengers to be parted from their luggage... only for Continental to "lose" mine for three days. After I arrived at Gatwick, it went on to Amsterdam for a night, then spent two nights in Paris. It had great fun.

It was worth it, though. Went to Moab for a bit of desert driving for a few days, then returned to LA via Route 66. Amazing. Worth the airport agro a hundred times over.

Got some useful gear from, believe it or not, Wal-Mart and K-Mart. Can anyone in the UK imagine buying tackle in Tesco?

Utah is a funny place for a drinker, though. I had to join a "club" to buy a beer (after 10 hours in the desert, I needed one, believe me!). And LA is just mad.

You're a lucky man, Newt. Unless Blair emigrates to the US.

Fenboy