Golden Orfe on over fished water

DaRoachster

Hi Da,

Golden orfe tend to swim in shoals just beneath the surface of the water. I had quite a job to catch 3 out of a shoal of about twenty.So if you see them,my method was: (pole at ready light float, line at 2ft depth, no weights hookbait maggot)if they come within 20-25yards, catapult maggots at shoal and keep the maggots going in, this tends to bring the shoal in closer as some maggots drop short, keep reducing the range until they are in the reach of your pole, bang a pouchfull maggots at your poles length, (fish should go a little deeper) if they have followed the trail, now drop your pole in and a few maggots and hopefully a golden orfe. Thats the way I did it and it's hard work, but I had three 2 pounders for my efforts, here's one of them.

orfe2lb.jpg

cheers hoppy

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic

Thats a beautiful fish there may I say! I'd love to catch a Golden Orfe but none of the fish I have fished have them stocked in them. I live in the Brentwood area in the South East in Essex. Anyone know of any waters that have them. I dont mind if they are just tiny I would just love to catch one. Also does anyone know the history behind orfe? Why are they sometimes called Ide and why are Blue Orfe not considered a species to be included in the Britich Record Lists?

The Ide (Leuciscus idus) is the original species, and the golden orfe is an articifially bred ornamental version. As far as I'm aware the blue orfe is just a different ornamental version of the same fish.

There are a few Ide in the UK, the River Calder in Yorkshire I think has one of the bigger populations. The fish itself looks a bit like a cross between a chub and a roach.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Thanks for that it all makes sense now accept for one thing - How comes the Golden Orfe is able to be in the UK Course Fish Record Lists and not the original version the Ide? If that was the case then shouldnt there be Koi among the lists (not that I think they should)?

The golden orfe is much more common the the UK because it appeals more to anglers. The ide itself is comparatively rare. Because of the this it tends to be the orfe that reach the bigger weights hence their entry in the lists. If an Ide was caught exceeding the orfe I'm not entirely sure what they'd do because in theory they are one and the same species. I guess they'd just have to change the category from Orfe to Ide/Orfe.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Hi Jamie - There are about 10 or so Golden Orfe from 2 to approx. 3.5lb in Fringe lake at Tingrith fishery in Bedfordshire.

I once caught 4 of them in one match, I was fishing shallow with pole and pellets and when they came cruising around I just "dapped" the bait on water surface and caught them like that.

Also I have caught them now and then when surface fishing for the carp.

Its a nice place to fish even if you dont manage to catch the Orfe! :D