Street Angling

Leon Roskilly

I've just read in one of the trade mags that 'street angling' is taking off in a big way in Europe, especially France.

Seems to revolve around a quick-moving light-lure angling style for predators in canals and rivers, fished from city streets, where the catch total rather than specimen size is the aim.

And the tackle manufacturers are starting to cater for the new phenomem with a dedicated range of tackle and lures.

I know of a few anglers here who are experimenting with 'city centre' angling in much the same way.

Is this the next 'big thing'?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I don't see anything new there...

My local river is just a few hundred yards away, at the end of my street, right in the middle of town. I walk along it each day and fish it when I can, sometimes on my way to work in the morning....

I've caught fish in many city centres whilst on our narrowboat canal holidays...Gas Street Basin in Birmingham is fabulous!

And the tackle manufacturers are starting to cater for the new phenomem with a dedicated range of tackle and lures.

There's always an angler waiting to be caught....!

Janet

Yea ive always fancied fishing the canal in Manchester city centre. Theres a spot with a turning area in front of some really high class apartments. Would love to see the look on the owners faces in the morning! :D

And ive always fancied this as well.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=...sa=N&tab=wl

If you look at the town centre you will notice the mersey flows underneath it. there are a lot of fishy spots the people have probably not fished for 50 yrs+. They would take some scrambling to get to, and you would have to be very careful. Salmon have found their way here and through back to the Goyt. And the Goyt and Tame have some massive fish in now, Barbel, Chub etc. It would be a proper urban adventure!

gone

Fantastic...street lights...chavs....traffic......wardens..........mums with pushchairs.......litter.................I can't wait.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I remember reading a while ago that with urban clean-up/environmental projects etc, loved by urbanites who have time and money, urban streams and small rivers which were once muck-filled ditches running past peoples' back-gardens and occasionally under a road, are coming along in leaps and bounds with increasing insect and fish life.

Contrasted with rural watercourses that are heading in the other direction, unknown, unloved and where the insect-life and other aquatic creatures that fish need are being wiped out by water abstraction and agricultural pollution and pesticides. :(

Perhaps part of the reason why street fishing is taking off in Europe?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

No, nothing new.

If you are contemplating fishing from streets in a town centre, be careful with your terminal tackle - you won't be insured if somehow catches a hook.

Local bye laws apply, and if the local council decides there is danger to the public caused by people swinging tackle to cast, then they can, and will, ban you from fishing from the streets.

This happend in my local town a few years back. Kids were fishing from the streets, and someone complained when they nearly caught a hook in the face. Unfortunately these kids were also causing a hazard to traffic and themselves, which did not help their case either.

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

Yea ive always fancied fishing the canal in Manchester city centre.

We had a school trip back in the 80's, which involved walking the canal from central Manchester back to the school in Audenshaw. We saw loads of good fish. Can't remember what the official point of the trip was, probably something to do with the industrial history of the canals :lol:

Anyway, we repeated the trip at the weekend, rods in hand, and I remember we caught loads of fish, including some good roach. I managed to lose a landing net trying to net a roach from a high embankment when the inner pole slid out with the head.

Definitely not new. A large portion of my local river (The White Cart) is urban fishing. This surprisingly has benefits because people are often convinced that any river that doesn't run clear through a city must be polluted, when in actual fact the river is coloured because of the terrain further upstream. The river is actually very clean and I've had some cracking sessions right between blocks of flats and workshops, garages etc.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Being a bit of a miserable old git, the thought of fishing in amongst all those people in a city centre fills me with horror. I fish to get away from all that, especially other people :yucky: :yucky:

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton