Light feeder Rod

Roobz

Hi all!

This is my first post on these forums so il just thank you all now for taking the time to read it, thanks!

Ok, i am a member of a new silver fish only fishery and im looking for a feeder rod with really light quiver tips. the lakes are only a few years old so all of the stock are small silver fish. the biggest fish in them are just over 5lb.

Im currently using a John Wilson avon with the lightest tip it came with. but to be honest its still to heavy to detect the small bits and keep a slight bend in the rod (it always wants to spring back straight dragging my feeder backwards with it) this is a right pain!!

i have a few ideas about which rod to get but im looking for other people opinions on them

Heres what i have been looking at

Preston mini carp feeder- Too heavy? made for carp so i am not sure if its to heavy for my lakes.

Milo helios- same concerns, are they to heavy for very light silver fishing??

other than those two i am a bit lost to be honest, i have a budget of around £150. beacuse i want somthing decent thats going to last a very long time. i am open to anything really. aslong as its decent. i also want a 'short' or 'compact' rod 10 foot or less please.

So whats out theres guys,, what are my options?

thanks again!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all!

This is my first post on these forums so il just thank you all now for taking the time to read it, thanks!

Ok, i am a member of a new silver fish only fishery and im looking for a feeder rod with really light quiver tips. the lakes are only a few years old so all of the stock are small silver fish. the biggest fish in them are just over 5lb.

Im currently using a John Wilson avon with the lightest tip it came with. but to be honest its still to heavy to detect the small bits and keep a slight bend in the rod (it always wants to spring back straight dragging my feeder backwards with it) this is a right pain!!

i have a few ideas about which rod to get but im looking for other people opinions on them

Preston mini carp feeder- Too heavy? made for carp so i am not sure if its to heavy for my lakes.

other than those two i am a bit lost to be honest, i have a budget of around £150. beacuse i want somthing decent thats going to last a very long time. i am open to anything really. aslong as its decent. i also want a 'short' or 'compact' rod 10 foot or less please.

thanks again!

Hi

Welcome to AN.

You can spend as much as you like, but you don't need to:

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.co.uk/catal...-wand,5988.html

http://pfcatalogarc.com/download/pressinfo/pdf/pdf96.pdf

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thanks sportsman!

I like the looks of the 9 foot 'Wand' and i cant really argue at the price! i have read the PDF and everything seems good to me. im going to look into it further.

i am pretty sure there is a newer Mach 3 version out, the website doesnt seem to give much info on whats changed. so im left wondering if i should go for the Mach 2 as you suggested or the newer Mach 3?

what do you recon?

Hi all!

thanks again!

Ive got 2 rods i use for both carp and silvers they are , garbolino 10ft squad 11 picker rod and middy the works.

the garbolino is 30 pounds and the works 50 pounds , both have an exeptionally soft action and light tips perfect for delicate bites .

Like sportsman says you really dont need to spend 150 pounds for quality that you can get for 30 or 40 and that will last for years upon years . Use the money saved for other tackle.

Thanks for your imput Malters. i have looked at those TFgear compact feeders and was very very close to buying one. i just wasnt sure if the tips where sensitive enough for the fishing i do. thank god for forums like this where i can ask people who own the type of rod i am after for there opinion.

Im going to get down Angling Direct this week and have a look at what they have in. then i can get a feel for the rods and see what i think. to be honest after looking at the Mach 2 xt wand i am very temped. i have been looking into it for the last few hours and i cant really find a fault it in. perfect length at 9foot. it comes with 4 tips all very light. its priced very well. and has great reviews!

but keep the suggestions comeing i always like to know whats available!

Thanks sportsman!

I like the looks of the 9 foot 'Wand' and i cant really argue at the price! i have read the PDF and everything seems good to me. im going to look into it further.

i am pretty sure there is a newer Mach 3 version out, the website doesnt seem to give much info on whats changed. so im left wondering if i should go for the Mach 2 as you suggested or the newer Mach 3?

what do you recon?

I have the old original Sigma Wand but I have fished with a friends mach 2 and I am sure that it will do everything you need.

Shakespeare may not be the trendiest manufacturer (or should I say importer from China) out there but they do produce some quality kit at excellent prices.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I've got the 10 foot Shakespeare Mentor Twin-Tip and the 12 foot Omni-X Feeder (2 carbon, one heavy fibre-glass) rods and I think they're cracking value for money.

Barely paid more more than a score for each of them.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Another vote for the Mach 2 Wand here!

I've got the 10' version and use it for my small river chubbing. I've also got the Mach 3 11' 6" feeder and the Wand has practically made it redundant!

Go for it, at the price you can't go wrong.

JP

After sleeping on it i am pretty sure the Mach 2 xt wand is the way to go. i just cant argue at the price and so far everyone who has used one loves it!!. i can spend the money saved on a new reel and a rod holdall!.

All the other compact rod i have looked at seem to be designed for carp only commercial waters. being a member of a silver fish only venue i dont need a rod thats designed to handle 6lb plus carp all day. i do intend on visiting some carp commercials during the summer but my JW rod will handle those when its set up for ledgering.

thanks for all your help guys. i wasnt aware of the term wand before joining this forum!!