River Dove

Norfolkdan

not sure about activity, but yes it's worth trying maggots and worms too, if you're there for a week, you won't want to be spinning all the time. use smaller mepps

(i hope none of the fly fishers are reading this, all this talk of using spinners and worms on the dove will have them apoplectic)

[ 14. August 2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: jeepster ]

The BBC did a series of programmes on Fishing the Dove, entitled 'THE PHILOSOPHER, FISH AND THE DOVE'

Fortunately they have been archived on the BBC website and can be 'listened to again' at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/philos...opherdove.shtml

Quite delightful, enjoy :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

don't get too hung up on makes and brands, if it's a small - smallish silver-ish spinner then one of the trout in the river will probably take a fancy to it!

on most of the dove trout never see spinners, but on that stetch, with it being unregulated maybe they're a bit more canny, still wouldn't worry too much about sizes though, mepps or ondex, smallish will be fine

im from near hartington and if i were you id double check about the fishimg rights anywhere on the upstream section of the dove as i have never heard of unowned stretches that are not run by a club. derby county angling run a fair bit of the dove and that ticket for fly only is 500 quid! ondex is the best spinner out there but not so good in fast water, should be fine near hartington though with a size 2, failing that a mapps aglia long also in 2. a better fast water lure would be the xd in 3.

there are no pike to my knowledge in any of the upstream sections especially as they are managed by trout clubs

There are good grayling in the dove. I'd be very suprised if you own the rights. YOu might own the land, but not the rights... still, I guess anyone telling you to stop fishing would be tresspassing! The delights of english law...

Anyway, please give the fly a go - a hares ear, PTN or the like are great. Spinning is a crime in the Dove (Not literally!!).