using a float rod for spinning

fantasticfisherman

Are you sure the venue doesn't contain any pike? I caught a 20lb pike on a tiny spinner meant for perch once. That would be great 'fun' on a float rod :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It's do-able but OK it isn't.

I wouldn't want to try and cast spinners with a big sweeping match rod for more than about 6 casts before it did my head right in. Spinning rods deliver short, quick, accurate casts with the minimum of fuss.

Then there's trying to add all the little nuances that make spinning...well, spinning. There's the little upward flick that makes the spinner stall, the hard sweep to get the spinner darting, there's the quick sweep from left to right or vive-versa, to get the lure changing direction in any given second etc. etc. Trying any of these moves with 13 foot rod would be at best, very difficult.

Spinning rods tend to have a fast-ish taper. The tip absorbs most of the take just before the rest of the rod compresses and sets the hooks home, without much need for the angler to do anything other than remain stationary.

Float rods tend to have a slower taper which means the rod would have to flex quite considerably before the hooks are set properly. Even with intervention, I doubt anyone could successfully bend into a fish with 13 foot of match rod every time.

Then you have line strengths. Match rods don't cope with heavier lines as efficiently as spinning rods. You need fairly strong line for spinning, since you really have no idea what will attach itself to the end of your line at any given time. By the time you've added a suitable line strength to your match rod, you've probably just cut the casting distance considerably, because thicker lines require larger rings to flow smoothly, unless you're using a multi and that's even more unlikely on a match rod.

I'm not saying by any means that you can't use a match rod for spinning. I know I have in the past. I've stuck a spinner on to try and catch Perch or Trout I've spotted and I did catch some but it wasn't much fun and I knew I was basically making compromises.

Spinning rods don't have to be expensive to be perfectly usable. A 20 quid Leeda or Ron Thompson will cope with the job no problem.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

When i started spinning i used a carp rod then a float rod. result? blanks. then bought a spinnig rod and caught fish the first time i used it (and the second and third. perch pike and chub). The reason? everything Andy has said above.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

It's probably closer to the mark than the 13 foot rod but even still, I'd get a little spinning rod if I was you. They don't cost a lot and they usually provide hours of fun and effortless fishing.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

old novice - jeff:

my son got a DAM fighter spin rod for only £18.99.

rod

I've got the 8 foot version of the DAM Fighter and although it's a cheapy, it does the job perfectly. It's comfy, fairly light and it's landed a few unexpected Pike.

I didn't know they were still available. Mine is ancient.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

If I was you, I'd try and get a hold of Trevor Mitchell (Deepinvader on Ebay).

I've bought a few rods from him and I've been pleased with them all. The last rod I bought from Trevor was a 6 foot ABU Conolon for £18, which any ABU buff will tell you, is a smashing rod.

I'll PM you his E-mail address.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...