Sweden

Swedish_Carper

Well I remember a friend who moved to Sweden caught a few really big crucian carp! But I don't think you have any thing in sizes we don't have here to really pull the big fish angler.The piking can be good but the 40's ain't climbing up the rod like some writers would have us believe!

Like Dales said I should think fishing for species we don't have here (like Burbot) would create some interest.

I also believe that there are several venues where Roach of a high average size can be caught in numbers (I used to write for a Swedish website that's now gone) That to would be worth travelling for.

The big thing though is fishing good looking venues that are not crowded along with the holiday aspect of being abroad and different culture (but not to different!).

As an ex guide I can tell you that one of the biggest reasons that travelling Brit anglers use a guiding service is simply to get a pointer to venues and all the administration (travel arrangements,accommodation,food,fishing licence,bait etc) done for them.Most resent being shown how to fish.

Interesting points! Thanks for the post!

I agree with you! The size of the fish aint the no.1 reason to travel to Sweden, it's the fact that most of the waters and fish are completely untouched that is! We have so many waters and not so many anglers. I fish around 100 days a year, and I don't see many other anglers on a year. Of course it depends on where you go, but I prefer to find my own lakes and rivers where others don't go. Me and a friend have found several waters that has appeared to be even better than most famous waters for those species. For example, in 2006 we found a small river that resulted in most of the top-10 swedish eels that and the following year.

Fishing for burbot is hardcore, 50cm of ice, 50cm of snow and -10-20 degrees :) I have some good spots for them though, so that would be possible to offer!

What is high average size for roach? In my opinion our area of Sweden is the best area for big roach. We have many small streaming waters that produce big ones. Sometimes I have even cought fish between 1,5-2 pounds while targeting other fish like eel and chub :) Sometimes we even get quite big roach in lakes while fishing for carp on boilies :) A friend got a 1,75 pound roach on a 15mm boilie.

I think what you write about guiding is 100% true!

// Patric

Att leva är att uppleva

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Predator fishing in the Swedish wilderness? Sign me up!

Get on a plain and I will show you Swedish fishing winterstyle, London-Gothenburg 6 GBP for both ways with ryanair ;) After a couple of holes with the ice-drill that we use for pikefishing the arms feels like spaghetti :D The ice is around 40 cm now, but we got rid of most of the snow a week ago :)

// Patric

Att leva är att uppleva

Well the roach would appeal to me! Having said that, I don't know if I will be able to arrange a trip, but when I retire in a couple of years it would be a real possibility.

One question I would have is that I know Norway is very expensive - is Sweden the same? What does it cost to stay the night at a 'bed and breakfast' place (small hotel)?

john clarke

Well the roach would appeal to me! Having said that, I don't know if I will be able to arrange a trip, but when I retire in a couple of years it would be a real possibility.

One question I would have is that I know Norway is very expensive - is Sweden the same? What does it cost to stay the night at a 'bed and breakfast' place (small hotel)?

Thank you for sharing you thoughts! :)

No, Sweden is not as expensive as Norway! :) I'm not really sure what normal price for accommodation is, but I think you could find a decent place for maby 200-400 SEK (£ 20-40) per night. If you want to stay at a hotel in the central parts of a town it will cost more. I could only find one exaple, and it is a economic one, it costs 400 SEK per night to rent a cabin on a holiday village a couple of kilometers outside my hometown, it's four beds and that makes it 100SEK (£ 9) per person if you four :)

//Patric

Att leva är att uppleva

Have fished in lakes to the South of Stockholm a few times - the bream, roach, tench & crucians were nice, but the abiding memory was of the fantastic rudd; nothing huge but all immaculate & between 1.5-2 lbs & one a chuck :D

Stockholm itself I didn't find much cleaner than most other places but once you go even few kms outside, into the country, it's just pristine.

I would emphasise that quality environment as much as the fish. Also that the Summer weather is fairly reliable.

Have fished in lakes to the South of Stockholm a few times - the bream, roach, tench & crucians were nice, but the abiding memory was of the fantastic rudd; nothing huge but all immaculate & between 1.5-2 lbs & one a chuck :D

Stockholm itself I didn't find much cleaner than most other places but once you go even few kms outside, into the country, it's just pristine.

I would emphasise that quality environment as much as the fish. Also that the Summer weather is fairly reliable.

Thanks for posting!

Rudd is very common and often comes in huge numbers, as I usually target carp, tench and bream they can get guite annoying sometimes :D

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Sweden!

//Patric

Att leva är att uppleva

Thanks for the post! :thumbs:

If you went over here for the predators, which species would you want to target? What do you think would be most appealing, great size or quantity?

The predator-fishing in my area is good in both size and quantity. About 100m from my doorstep I have the river "Göta älv" where my pike-enthusiastic friends catch pike around 25 pounds every year :) Lakes with good quantity of pike are many. Väners is great for quantity-fishing for perch (0,6 - 1,5 pounds) and some small lakes in the woods holds bigger perch (3,5+ pounds). Zander is possible to catch in very large numbers on vertical jigging in some lakes and big ones also exist :)

I don't think I would be tempted to travel just for the predator fishing, as I can find Perch, Pike and Zander over here. As Vagabond & Budgie said Burbot would be interesting. However saying that if I was over in Sweden on holiday, then I would certainly consider going out for a day trip with a guide for a session and the size of the fish would not be overly important. Catching a few small Pike and Zander in amazing scenery would be a great day out.

Rather then plan to travel to go fishing, I do it the other way round. I go traveling and then see what fishing opportunities present themselves in the destination. So I am not the sort of person who tends to book the "whole fishing guide package" with accomadation, flights etc and then go and fish for multiple days. When I contact one its to cut out all the hard work of finding venues, licences, baits, travel arrangements to the water and extra equipment.

I was over in Gothenburg for 5 days a few years back and done a quick search to see if there were any fishing guides with boats that could take me out on one of the local lakes, but did not come up with much. This may be an area that might appeal to a wider market, offering a day out for those taking a holiday in Sweden. If your on a short break, it's great to be greeted at your hotel early in the morning and whisked away to a fishing destination with out the hassle of having to sort out the little details yourself.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I don't think I would be tempted to travel just for the predator fishing, as I can find Perch, Pike and Zander over here. As Vagabond & Budgie said Burbot would be interesting. However saying that if I was over in Sweden on holiday, then I would certainly consider going out for a day trip with a guide for a session and the size of the fish would not be overly important. Catching a few small Pike and Zander in amazing scenery would be a great day out.

Rather then plan to travel to go fishing, I do it the other way round. I go traveling and then see what fishing opportunities present themselves in the destination. So I am not the sort of person who tends to book the "whole fishing guide package" with accomadation, flights etc and then go and fish for multiple days. When I contact one its to cut out all the hard work of finding venues, licences, baits, travel arrangements to the water and extra equipment.

I was over in Gothenburg for 5 days a few years back and done a quick search to see if there were any fishing guides with boats that could take me out on one of the local lakes, but did not come up with much. This may be an area that might appeal to a wider market, offering a day out for those taking a holiday in Sweden. If your on a short break, it's great to be greeted at your hotel early in the morning and whisked away to a fishing destination with out the hassle of having to sort out the little details yourself.

Good point! I think one of the keys to succeed is to be flexible and offer custom-made services. Offer the perfect solution by discussion between both parts and be prepared for any kind of arrangement, everything from a day trip (hotel pick up/ drop off + fishing) to a whole weekend or week all included package.

The problem with burbot is that it's a species that is active during late autumn and winter while the weather can be quite rough over here. But maby some people find that exotic and interesting to experience :) At the moment we are having a litle bit milder weather though.. -5 degrees and the ice on the lakes will soon be more than 50 cm thick.

Att leva är att uppleva

Just contact me and my future business and I will take you on some unforgettable fishing! ;)

chesters1:

Volvo is chinese now a days ;) Trollhättan is the hometown of SAAB!

:P bugger sweden then at least finland fought back

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Do keep us posted about the plans for your business. I'm certainly interested, but it probably won't be for about 18 months. I assume summer or autumn is the best time to come?

What will your business be? Will you have a minibus and take people round as a group? Or will you just give individuals information about venues etc and leave it to them to hire a car?

Incidently, are maggots available in Sweden, or do people use other baits?

john clarke