Tench Groundbait

dave_H1

Try chopping a load of lobworms and adding them to your groundbait,i find this ideal for tench and then use a cocktail of redworm and maggot or caster.

I've done really well with tis on my local water fishing for tench.

Jem

The groundbait itself can be a problem, especially if it's light coloured, as tench may simply avoid the light patch on the bed. Try a dark-coloured groundbait if you have to use it.

Otherwise, I would quite definitely add a strong flavour and a sweetner. If I had to use one bait for tench (and assuming I could overcome the technical problems), it would be a sugar cube soaked in 'Mega tutti frutti' (ethlyl alcohol based). Try adding the flavour to your groundbait, then adding sugar or (better) runny honey.

Other great tench flavours include bramble jelly, strawberry, ylang ylang & pineapple. A mate of mine swears by chocolate malt. Savoury-wise, try seafood-type flavours, but don't be afraid to add plenty of sweetner. Dip your hookbait in a sweetened, neat flavour, too - it works (but carp would swim a mile!).

Be lucky.

[ 20 June 2002, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

I used to use Van den Eynde Expo as tench seemed to like it. Can be a bit heavy though so I used to mix it with Sensas Magic. This produced a sweet smelling groundbait that worked well in deeper water which is where I did most of my tench fishing. Brunos advice above is excellent in that it takes it a step further than basic shop-bought groundbaits - definitely worth considering.

One other thing - don't be afraid to load the groundbait with free samples. Tench like to get their heads down so give them plenty to be getting on with so that it holds them in the area!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

aero:

Try whizzos Stench

Spot on!

If you can find this groundbait it really is excellent.

When I worked nights I would bait a swim on my local pond on the way to work and fish it on the way home. The Tench would be fizzing like mad!