how to get lobworms

old swampy

I collect mine after dark on a local park. just walk quietly and don't shine your torch directly on them. It tends to be easier if its been raining. After a little practice you can get loads. You will see them half out of there hole just grab hold but dont pull, wait for them to give up and just slide them out.

I catch lobworms in my back garden. I water the lawn and soil at six and seek them out one by one at 11. I shine the tortch on them and jerk them with sharp, short tug's out of the hole.

[ 20 June 2002, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Golden Phoenix ]

a good tip is walk VERY quietly ,when you see a worm it usually has its tail still in its hole (its so it can get underground fast) put your finger on the tail end in the ground ,it then will retract very fast but your finger will stop it disapearing ,grab the head end and apply a gentle pressure away from the hole it will resist but keep up the pressure and it will come free :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

but you lose the " thrill of the chase " type and manly conquering the outdoors type thingy :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I second the above, also if you are in need of a quick fix during daylight, shove a garden fork as deep into the ground, ( Preferably lawn )as possible, then with clenched fists drum on the front of the handle for about ten seconds and you will see them shoot straight out of the ground, then move on about ten inches, and repeat, not as good as the above method but will get results, the drier the ground the poorer the results as worms are deeper down. Even the kids can, and often do this for me too.

Guest Ferret1959

water your lawn with a mild solution of washing up liquid, give it about 1/2 hour and go and pick up the worms. Then swill them in clean water and put them in a container with moss and peat.

Works best when the lawn has been mowed.

If you haven't got a lawn and only got soil get some old carpet wet the ground and the carpet and after a few days you will find worms under it.

The other way is to get a Blackbird tie some string around its neck to prevent it swollowing and train it to hunt the worms for you.A bit like the Chinkys do with cormarants

Sorry Ferret

I'm not in favour of your method, as the wash and brush up will remove that fish attracting natural aroma of the worms. I agree that the use of the (spaggnum moss) is a very good idea it will scour them out, and adding a drop of milk to it will also keep them firm and fresh too.

Guest Ferret1959

Yes but if you store them for a few days not only will they get back their flavour they will toughen up as well.