De Barbing a hook

Roland

Evening All,

I'm going out to fish for pike tomorrow for the first time in a club match/day. I have got most bits and pieces that are required. A work colleague kindly gave me a coup;e of lures for the day however they have barbed hooks which are no permitted. Is there a way I can take the barb off?

Cheers

Ben

to test it just push it through a bit of cloth if it catches when you pull it out then the barbs still a barb ,i'v been squashing mine for years they work fine without barbs.

check though for rust on borrowed gear even a small amount could have the hook fail

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have fished barbless for over 30 years. Where I can I prefer to use factory barbless hooks, but if these aren't available then the technique described above is the way to go.

Remember to keep your hooks sharp - use a fine file or diamond hook sharpener. Sharpen towards the point. Test them by touching the point against your thumb nail, if it feels as though it wants to cling then they are sharp.

Providing you keep a tight line (this is the key) you will not loose fish by going barbless.

You might also consider removing some of the hooks. Quite often I remove a set of trebles from a plug, or snip off one of the hooks of a treble using a good pair of hardened cutters (see my comments in the thread headed "Perch lures / spinners").

Treble hooks can cause serious problems. I once remember years ago whilst fishing with barbed hooks, hooking a tiny jack pike - two of the hooks went through the lower jaw, the third threw the upper.

I could not get at enough of any of the hooks to cut the points off. It was impossible to get the hooks out without causing severe damage and stress to the fish, so I had to despatch it. I hated doing that. I have never fished with barbs since that time.

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

Just crush it down tight with a pair of pliers

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."