Where to tench fish around oxfordshire

gazza01

Blenheim palace lake is definitely worth a punt for tench,they dont reach the monster size catagory of some well known gravel pits but they are prolific.

One possible downside is that is boat fishing only which may not be your thing.Upside is that it is a stunning lake and a carp free zone as well!

I am fishing Blenhiem Palace 20th of june with a mate from work. Have you fished it before, if so any tips?

I am fishing Blenhiem Palace 20th of june with a mate from work. Have you fished it before, if so any tips?

Yes am a veteran of one trip there!

We were advised when we collected our punt to keep on moving until we found the Tench,sitting it out hoping the fish would come on the feed was not recommended.

Found some fish after about our 4th move,simple laying on tactics with a straight peacock waggler was the way we approached our swim.We baited with chopped worm hemp and caster and fished either caster or red maggot on the hook.

Also picked up some nice roach as well to just over a pound.As i said in my original post you will catch larger tench elsewhere but you will struggle to beat the scenery,absolutely stunning lake.

Enjoy your trip let us know how you get on.

There may just be a secluded, overgrown lake somewhere out there that has Tench - and just Tench - if you find it let me know?!! :)

Me too!

Oxfordshire has some really great fishing, but I reckon you've found the biggest gap - stillwater tench fishing in peaceful, idyllic surroundings. The majority of my tench fishing is done a long way away now, but it's worth it for the seclusion and peace. It is frustrating that there's not much close to home though.

The really frustrating thing is that we're surrounded by beautiful gravel pits! Many of them holding some very big tench. But I've yet to find one which isn't carp fished 24/7, with all the asssociated noise and disturbance. There must be some hidden gems out there somewhere...

I'd echo Goosequill's recommendation of the Thames. The Oxfordshire Thames is basically one huge, rich, mixed fishery, it's got the lot. I could go on and on about how good it is, and still the banks would be deserted! I was going to fish it for the tench last summer, but the flooding knackered that plan. Hopefully this year.

Sorry I can't be more help. I suspect that a few people will read this and know of a couple of lovely old estate lakes with plump, dark old tench, and understandably choose not to reply... :rolleyes:

PS if you're going to Blenheim take some lobs - there are plenty of big perch there.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Me too!

Oxfordshire has some really great fishing, but I reckon you've found the biggest gap - stillwater tench fishing in peaceful, idyllic surroundings. The majority of my tench fishing is done a long way away now, but it's worth it for the seclusion and peace. It is frustrating that there's not much close to home though.

The really frustrating thing is that we're surrounded by beautiful gravel pits! Many of them holding some very big tench. But I've yet to find one which isn't carp fished 24/7, with all the asssociated noise and disturbance. There must be some hidden gems out there somewhere...

I'd echo Goosequill's recommendation of the Thames. The Oxfordshire Thames is basically one huge, rich, mixed fishery, it's got the lot. I could go on and on about how good it is, and still the banks would be deserted! I was going to fish it for the tench last summer, but the flooding knackered that plan. Hopefully this year.

Sorry I can't be more help. I suspect that a few people will read this and know of a couple of lovely old estate lakes with plump, dark old tench, and understandably choose not to reply... :rolleyes:

PS if you're going to Blenheim take some lobs - there are plenty of big perch there.

Can you recomend any stretches of the thames to fish for the tench?

Anywhere around Oxford, and no doubt further afield too. Look for the slower water (although I know someone who caught one from a very pacy stretch!) and the shallower, slack weedy bays at dawn and dusk. The best thing is to go to the bit of river which is most local to you and walk the banks and do some exploring. More than likely you'll find some forgotten bits of water which are screaming out to be fished...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well, as Anderoo has said, all of the streches above/in/below Oxford hold Tench. I have caught them at all times of the year from a variety of swims and streches - there doesn't seem to be a 'typical' Thames Tench swim! That's why I love the river so much - the variety is amazing. Each time the float swaggers away, or your tip goes over, you never, ever know for sure what you may land, and that (in my opinion) is worth so much more than fishing a water where every fish has a pet name.....but, each to their own in angling.

Stretches around Wolvercote, Port Meadow, Botley Road area etc, etc all produce Tench. If you are new to the area I can give you one good tip - visit J&K Tackle in Bicester and have a chat with the very helpfull staff in there - they will give you the 'lowdown' on all the local club permits that are available - there are miles and miles and miles of river and canal fishing and some lovely mature gravel pits - you can get a couple of good club books and have a years fishing for under a £100.

Just one final thing though - if you have never caught a Crayfish before, you will soon put that to rights!!

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who has helped in my quest for the ultimate tench water. I will let ypu all know how i get on at blenhiem palce tench fishing next week. PS I have had my share of crays in the past. I think i will try the stretch down by beale park towards reading looks like some nice slow water.

I have not been there in a while, but Pimlico Farm (see website) have three lakes. The middle one has a double disabled stage next to a beautiful waterlilly plant that has grown to about 6-7 ft in diameter and screams Tench!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

You could try TC pit between the A40 and the A34 it is officially closed to fishing but I know a few guys who still fish it without too much problem. The only problem is that they are about to start work on the A34 bridge so there probably won't be anywhere to park.

I personally haven't fished it for quite a few years but there is still a decent head of tench in there, some of them probably approaching double figures, there are a few carp in there but if you caught one of those you would be more than happy as they are of adecent size.

In the past I have found the two banks running along the canal to be best for the tench, but as I said I haven't fished it for quite a while.

With regards to Blenhiem I used to fish it a lot in the past as my mate used to live on the estate.

Since they banned groundbait the large bags of tench and bream have been a lot more scarce but the fish are there and as someone else said it's more a case of locating afew fish and then loosefeeding to keep them interested.

This time of year I would suggest the areas opposite the boat house and then down towards the waterfall end as the season progresses.

Take sliding floats you will need them and maybe something with a drift beater top if it's a bit choppy, whether you choose to obey the groundbait ban or not take plenty of bait and think about including some scalded maggots or plenty of casters.

Edited by chappers

You could try TC pit between the A40 and the A34 it is officially closed to fishing but I know a few guys who still fish it without too much problem. The only problem is that they are about to start work on the A34 bridge so there probably won't be anywhere to park.

I personally haven't fished it for quite a few years but there is still a decent head of tench in there, some of them probably approaching double figures, there are a few carp in there but if you caught one of those you would be more than happy as they are of adecent size.

In the past I have found the two banks running along the canal to be best for the tench, but as I said I haven't fished it for quite a while.

With regards to Blenhiem I used to fish it a lot in the past as my mate used to live on the estate.

Since they banned groundbait the large bags of tench and bream have been a lot more scarce but the fish are there and as someone else said it's more a case of locating afew fish and then loosefeeding to keep them interested.

This time of year I would suggest the areas opposite the boat house and then down towards the waterfall end as the season progresses.

Take sliding floats you will need them and maybe something with a drift beater top if it's a bit choppy, whether you choose to obey the groundbait ban or not take plenty of bait and think about including some scalded maggots or plenty of casters.

cheers mate i fished it yesturday and hit two perch 1st was an oz under 3 lb and the next 2 lb, i lost one tench cos i left my line clip on and it snapped (ahhhhhhhhhhhhh). but that was it. we moved three times and never really got ontop of the fish...but lovely relaxing day.