PB.

John Ellison

I fished a little match today with a few mates on our local canal. Now I can hardly claim to grab any headlines in the press but I achieved a little personal milestone today. I caught 100 roach in 5 hours on punch. That they were three to the ounce matters not to me. Why I am quite pleased with myself is that I caught 22 in the first hour/17 in the second/20 in the third/20 in the fourth and 21 in the last. The adopted feeding pattern got me a fish the first put-in to a fish in the last. They weighed 1 lb 12 ozs. Just out of the money.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Result! Hope you keep plugging away at it and making every fish count. As for my match today; 35lb of small carp with 15lb second, so I'm well chuffed as well.

Which canal do you fish?

Steve

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

Hi John,

I'm not being funny here, but how do you keep count of the fish you catch when in a match?

It makes me laugh when I see a keepnet full of small silverfish in the weeklies with the headline - '367 roach in 3 hours'

If thats all I had to think about whilst fishing, I think I'd pack it in.

Happy hunting.

HB.

The canal was the start of the Calder & Hebble, not that it matters. It's 20 metres wide, 7 feet deep and totally featureless. We were on here because the river was up.

How or why you keep count is to keep you focussed. A few years ago I was in a canal match and found myself on a few gudgeon which I estimated weighed 50 to the pound. I caught 268 plus a 3 oz perch. At any time throughout the match I was able to guess what weight I'd got.

When the chap at the next peg asked what I thought I'd got I said 5 lbs 9 ozs. I weighed 5 - 8 1/2. That's why you count! You only generally bother when it's little fish and 20 in the first hour and 17 in the next is a disaster, you tell yourself and you must be more careful with the feeding. With 79 fish in the first 4 hours and a magic ton a real possibility, who do you think was the most focussed angler on the bank? I was!

When I saw that picture of Lynn with that barbel I was in awe. But I don't live there, I live here. In this canal in t' shadow o dark satanic mills wi' rain pouring down t' slag heaps

you can target proper roach on caster and when you catch it's lovely. I did that a week last wednesday and never had a bite for three hours.

One alternative is Punch. It costs nowt, calls for oh so delicate presentation and you catch instantly if roach are present. When it's my day off I want to go fishing and catch. Yesterday I did. I love it! :cool: :) :cool: :cool:

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

I've seen guys catching gudgeon & bleak in matches using small push-button counters like they use at some events to count people. Never quite saw the point myself, but then perhaps that's why they always caught more than I did!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.