Please sign this!

Dick Dastardly

If any fishery owner wants to have a water just for silver match fishing (and remove pike / carp etc.), let nature do it for you. Install some otter holts. You can get grants for this too! ;)

Come on Jeff, you know that they'll have the silvers first B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Signed.

All the otters in Oxfordshire really have decimated the fish stocks. The chub fishing this winter has been appalling.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Signed.

All the otters in Oxfordshire really have decimated the fish stocks. The chub fishing this winter has been appalling.

Fortunately the fishing should improve dramatically up in Staffordshire this year. I saw a dead otter on the A34 yesterday. A reprieve for the Trent at last!...Mind you I heard that it was so polluted there were no fish left so goodness knows what the otter was doing there :rolleyes:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Signed.

Hi Anderoo,

Truly sorry to hear that.

I am surprised though...with the large expanse / choice of waters you have around Oxfordshire and the lack of otter numbers compared to other area's..... you seem to be particulary unlucky.

While on the subject, very rarely are otters sighted as they are primarily nocturnal hunters and when on the water mainly hidden or push under cover. Recently I have recorded otter kills on a local pond. Due to the size of the carp.... evidence was left otherwise no one would really be aware and look for clues over this winter. After finding the first spraint I found around eight. (To the untrained eye the spraints would be missed but once you find your first one you know what to look for). If someone quite tall goes around even stooped over they will probably still miss the spraints. I put on a pair of waders and walked around the margin closer to eye level. The spraints are just oily smears...placed to warn off competition.

I mention this as if you fish any water that is badly affected by otters the signs will be there. If there's no signs of spraints or paw prints etc... then you are fishing probably unaffected water.

But look on the bright side in Oxfordshire you have so much water to choose from and with your finely tuned "angling skills" you will have no problem finding other worth while spots relatively close to you.

Fortunately the fishing should improve dramatically up in Staffordshire this year. I saw a dead otter on the A34 yesterday. A reprieve for the Trent at last!...Mind you I heard that it was so polluted there were no fish left so goodness knows what the otter was doing there :rolleyes:

Hi Worms, did you report it or hand in the dead otter to the E.A.? The E.A. has instructions on their website for all anglers to do this.

Yes Jeff, I reported it to the EA and NE. I didn't pick the body up, it had been dead for a while and had been run over by a succession of vehicles. Mind you, as it was on the A34 and not the riverbank I suppose it was outside of anglers' jurisdiction......unless of course it had been deliberately run over by a jealous crap angler B)

Yes Jeff, I reported it to the EA and NE. I didn't pick the body up, it had been dead for a while and had been run over by a succession of vehicles. Mind you, as it was on the A34 and not the riverbank I suppose it was outside of anglers' jurisdiction......unless of course it had been deliberately run over by a jealous crap angler B)

Well done Worms you did the right thing. Maybe NE can arrange for an unofficial "escapee" replacement.....leave the cage latch off and turn a blind eye like while having a fag :P

Well done Worms you did the right thing. Maybe NE can arrange for an unofficial "escapee" replacement.....leave the cage latch off and turn a blind eye like while having a fag :P

Blimey Jeff, anyone would think that somebody was breeding the little cuddly blighters!

Signed.

As for Otters, I was very happy to see some on the River Ant last year near Irstead.

I understand that they can wreak havoc on smaller commercial fisheries, but on the Broads at least, their impact is minimal and serves much the same purpose as any top predator. Weeding out the weak and diseased, as is natures way.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Signed.

As for Otters, I was very happy to see some on the River Ant last year near Irstead.

I understand that they can wreak havoc on smaller commercial fisheries, but on the Broads at least, their impact is minimal and serves much the same purpose as any top predator. Weeding out the weak and diseased, as is natures way.

Renrag

Very true, though "visibly" healthy medium size to larger specimens are their preference....worth expending the energy on chasing, catching / subdue & dragging out.