River close season targets?

jimmyh

Just over 2 weeks and the rivers that i have come to love close for what seems like an age - i'm a bit lost!

I like to have seasonal targets. Summer is the time for Bass & Carp. Autumn brings up images of Barbel, Roach & Perch. For winter, look no further that Chub, Pike & Cod. But from March 15 to June 15 i dont have the foggiest what to do.....the seas are slow until the bass run in and the ponds and lakes are readying for the summer onslaught.

Any ideas?

Please visit my blog at http://jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

Noting that you come from Teeside there is only one answer Fly fishing for trout and Salmon you are sat on some of the best game fishing in the north of England get out there an fill your boots!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Well that depends on wether you're a member of any clubs or nor

The traditional close season as was is just about the best time to fish for tench, with the water warming up and the sun growing stronger tench will be a good hard fighting species to aim for, throw in some good roach fishing and it seems to me a nice way to spend the day

You could carry on piking locally as theres a few venues within the area where you can fish for pike all summer if you wish

You could go North and fish some of the Scottish lochs that hold big vast shoals of roach bream perch and pike all within a couple of hours or so of central Cleveland, you can see where I live,some of those lochs are also good for a variety of bivvy sessions covering a few days duration if you feel up to it

You could also jump on a charter boat from hartlepool or Whitby and be into some of the finest summer cod fishing anywhere around our coastline or you could already have a small boat and launch off the local beach's and fish for cod and pollack in much the same way

Or you could take the opportunity to do a load of work around the house and earn enough brownie points to see you through the year

The second half of March is usually just a little break for me, I'm usually feeling quite fished out by then and need a little rest. April is mainly troot, either bank fishing at a local reservoir for big rainbows or creeping about a little Thames tributary for little brownies. I'm also planning a session for big gravel pit perch this April, to try to catch a big one before they spawn. May and June will be bream and tench.

Lots to look forward to :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

PB Tope!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!