car starts then stalls

Andy_1984

go it running! i topped up the battery fluid and left it on trickle charge then sanded down the earth straps to nice shiny metal. cranking it over the voltage never dropped below 10v as it did before.

it was a bit of a struggle to get it going as its been sat for about 5 days but after some grumbling it started and never stalled. left it running for a while and took it a few laps around the police station and its been fine since.

cheers guys :thumbs:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

job done :thumbs: but keep that battery topped up.

i would though puzzle over why the voltage drops so low starting the car i suspect the battery is def on its way out or is perhaps the wrong sized battery for the car?

it would be interesting to measure the voltage before you start the car after its been left overnight

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ill let you know chesters. i have noticed however the battery is a 71Ah and recommended battery from eurocarparts website is a 41Ah

theres a ton of things not right about my car its been chopped so many times by the cops(ex cop car).

kinda makes me wonder what they really drive around in work is quite shoddy to be honest, ive found many bare wires and wires that seem to lead to no where, it really is a puzzle sometimes trying to fix things on it.

most probably the bigger battery was for having the blues on for hours at crashes etc

the wires will no doubt have fed them and a host of crime fighting gear that was installed

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

most probably the bigger battery was for having the blues on for hours at crashes etc

the wires will no doubt have fed them and a host of crime fighting gear that was installed

yeah i figured that. i would have thought they would at least make the wiring safe. i found 2 live wires behind the radio and 1 in the boot when i first got the car. and a great big nasty 20 core cable running from the boot to the front dash. not connected to anything thankfully so ive got 20 wires free to be used for any little projects i get up to :D only down side is they aint color coded, all gray!

yeah i figured that. i would have thought they would at least make the wiring safe. i found 2 live wires behind the radio and 1 in the boot when i first got the car. and a great big nasty 20 core cable running from the boot to the front dash. not connected to anything thankfully so ive got 20 wires free to be used for any little projects i get up to :D only down side is they aint color coded, all gray!

saves lifting the carpet to lay your own :D

Edited by chesters1

exactly! ive been wanting to install a carpc for some time (pc in boot with touch screen in the din) i got a handy little tester to figure out which wires are which at the ends connect them till it beeps :D

dont talk to me about carpets btw! who ever they got to put them back down done a realy crap job of it. at the door sills they are coming away. i suppose they only show the really nice cars on road wars.

thought i was home free. turns out its developed another problem, the lpg system is misfiring under load, can be felt ever so slightly on petrol. lpg i think is known to make a misfire more pronounced.

i guess thats what i get for buying a cheap aftermarket coil pack the last time it broke.

checked all the plugs and they are sparking. got a spare set of ht leads ill try tomorrow if thats not it then coil pack. i swear ive almost had it with this car, the lpg was meant to save me money but the car in general has cost me more than my ageing cavalier(1998) ever did!

it would be interesting to measure the voltage before you start the car after its been left overnight

12.22v left overnight, measured this morning

11.40 with ignition at II

11v when cranking

14.6v idle

when cranking it this morning to get the cranking voltage im sure i heard some escaping sparks from the coil pack or somewhere but forgot to find my spare ht leads to try them. job for tonight i guess :)

strange a 12v battery showing under c12.2 volts is only 50% charged!

i guess the plates are heavily sulphated a smart charger on recondition may recover it but it may be past its best

the alternators doing its bit thats the correct voltage

Edited by chesters1