What was it?

AberdeenAngus

Many years ago, when I was even less informed than I am now (if thats possible), I caught what to me seemed like a crocodile in Llyn Peris at Llanberis in N Wales.

I am still intrigued as to what it was.

Clues:

I was fishing on the bottom using a feeder in early september.

The lake is very deep and very cold

It was about 2 feet long (even taking into account expansion of size with time)

Quite streamlined.

It was very dark, grey almost black in colour.

I do know it wasn't a pike, trout, chub, salmon.

Artic Char has been suggested. Anyone with local knowledge able to comment?

(My dad had set me up with a little spinning rod and thick line whilst he had a beer in the local pub. He thought not a cat in hells chance of me catching anything. I was so frightened with this monster (previous PB probably 4oz perch!) that I almost gave up fishing there and then)

try finding any stories on the Bala lake monster

All the reports describe a crocodile like creature, maybe you caught its cousin :)

or an alligator gar.

saying that the welsh have got some wierd stuff anyway.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Welsh Char are known as Red Bellies - I'm sure you'd have noticed if it had had one of those....

It is also obviously of the salmon family.

Chris

[ 12. September 2002, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Chris Plumb ]

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Talking of which, I gather there are some interesting fish in Llyn Trawfynndd near Harlech, where the water outlet from Trawsfyndd Nuclear Power Station is. Trout with 2 Heads for starters. Mind you, the nuclear fallout seems to have affected some of the anglers. There was this bloke with a pole, 16 m long, floating the thing on the water, with this roller thing behind him. On second thoughts, trout with 2 heads is the least of our worries!

Jockbull ??

I have been broken many times in Bala with some very bigfish.

The tip slams round, rod bends, then solid with just a slight pull,resulting with a smashed hook length.

We beleive these are very big eels, somtimes we have a short run then we are convinced they a massive wild brown trout ?

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com

Jockbull????

If y dinna watch yerself, I'll nick ye bloo.y goalposts ye sassenach!!!

Anyway, it weren't related to salmon family... no upturned botton jaw. But it had bloo.y big teeth... they stuck in my mind (not literally). It was ugly... almost like an elongated Angler Fish.

I also recall it was covered in a thick black tar like oil.... and so was I afterwards.

It didn't have 4 legs, so no it weren't a croc! It were definately a fish of some sort.