tench...how to catch

Chris Scott

I fish a fair bit for tench on the drains. I use feeder or waggler, with a 50/50 mix of Sensas Expo and brown crumb, laced with casters. corn and chopped worm. Then I fish worm and caster or worm and corn over the top. Works for me!

Tench seem to respond well to groundbait, but I try not to add too much corn as it seems to fill them up too quickly.

Andy.

Tench will now start to slow down with their feeding habits. In the summer months they like big baits such as corn, pellets, bread flake or meat baits. Just lately I have been catching them using chopped worm and caster, red double maggot and squats (tiny white maggots that dont bury them selves in the silt). You will also need to start to fine down your tackle ie reel and hooklength and hook sizes. I caught several up the 4lb at the weekend in a 3 foot deep swim while roach fishing and landed them with ease using a 6 elastic 3lb hightec line 1.5lb hightec hooklenght and size 18 mustad carp match hooks (I used these heavier hooks in case of Tench or bream). I was fishing over 1 cup of hemp and casters and loose feed red maggots and casters every five - ten mins.

I didnt get a bite on corn, pellets or meat.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hi Chris,

How to catch Tench the easy way?.

Buy a fresh uncut loaf from the bakers. Cut it in half and drop the whole half in the lake in the margins and leave at least half an hour. Be still, quiet and low.

Tackle up with just a No six hook on four pound line and keep casting the freeline bread squeezed on the hook at the half loaf and letting it drop. Takes are easy to spot by watching the line.

I drooped the bread in by accident once, many years ago and spotted two Tench under it, Each time I caught a fish, I could still see two under the bread. I used this method to catch nineteen fish before darkness stoped play.

I have used the same method many times since with varying success.

Unconventional maybe but it works.

Happy Tenching.

.......Liam

[ 27. September 2002, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Liamsm ]

"Wisdom is the knowledge of how little we know"

Barbelangler.co.uk

Red maggot is a popular hookbait for tench, the theory being that it resembles their natural food, bloodworm (all beit particularly obese bloodworm!)

With this in mind, I always use red baits and ground baits when fishing for tench. Red, cloudy, sweet ground baits laced with castors and hempseed work a treat with double red maggots on the hook.

I often dye sweetcorn crimson red and flavour it with something sweet like vanilla or strawberry.

Recently I've been using 'Cats and Dogs -strawberry flavoured hookable pellets' with some considerable success.

Last month, after an almost bitless day fishing castor and maggotts on a small weedy river I switched to these pellets (they look a bit like mini boilies) and hooked a 5lb tench with minutes.

Tight lines.

Hi Chris Like one or two of the others I would think the tench fishing will be slowing down a little now. It still worth trying mini hair rigged boilies on size ten raptors (fruity flovour). semi fixed bolt rig drop this into a snack pack PVA bag fill with pellet and a few crushed boilies. Cast the lot to a good feature and hope!!!If the tench don't have it maybe the odd bream or carp will. Tight lines....