Free fishing

davedave

Loads of free fishing near me - The North sea, rivers Orwell, Deben and Stour, several drains and a few ponds that I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Luckily loads of free fishing near me. Just as well because I won't pay to fish. I won't even fish in waters where you need an EA license. If I were in government I'd national river banks, not hight street banks ;)

The Scandinavian countries have got this right. :thumbs:

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear you need an EA license everywhere?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Not on tidal rivers. Unless you fish the Broads mind. Where a lot is tidal but also needs an EA license. Probably other exceptions too.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I swear you need an EA license everywhere?
Not on the tidal stretch of the River Itchen or the Solent.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Remember a holidaymaker fishing from his boat at St. Benets Abbey, asked me why the water went one way then the other? Not being patronising I told him its the tide coming in, which it is...

He asked if any Tope had ever been caught there.....

Took a while to explain after I stopped laughing, it seems so obvious to me but there are many people who've never fished tidal waters.

I get perplexed if the water DOESN'T turn...

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Ahh right

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Remember a holidaymaker fishing from his boat at St. Benets Abbey, asked me why the water went one way then the other? Not being patronising I told him its the tide coming in, which it is...

He asked if any Tope had ever been caught there.....

Took a while to explain after I stopped laughing, it seems so obvious to me but there are many people who've never fished tidal waters.

I get perplexed if the water DOESN'T turn...

Renrag

It's funny how far up stream some marine species will roam though. In Scotland flounder are even found in Loch Lomond, which I'm sure you know is 100% fresh water. How long they have been there nobody knows nor does anyone know if they ever return to the sea. I'm pretty sure that they breed in the loch though because I have seen tiny ones (less than 1") in the shallows.

Flounder are one of the few species of fish that can reverse their osmotic potential 'at will'. Bass, Sea Trout and Mullet can do this to a limited extent too.

http://www.esfjc.co.uk/Flounder%20literature%20review.pdf

Under the behaviour heading it states they cannot breed in FW as the eggs do not develop. I can't comment but perhaps they have evolved to do so?

But also according to that link, many tiny flounder will actively 'migrate' to FW after hatching, so the River Leven would be more than enough for them to pass.

(However, I don't know the passability of the river, nor if there are any barriers that would prevent this).

Suprisingly interesting fish, the Flounder. Tastes like crap though off of Norfolk.

Renrag

Flounder are one of the few species of fish that can reverse their osmotic potential 'at will'. Bass, Sea Trout and Mullet can do this to a limited extent too.

http://www.esfjc.co.uk/Flounder%20literature%20review.pdf

Under the behaviour heading it states they cannot breed in FW as the eggs do not develop. I can't comment but perhaps they have evolved to do so?

But also according to that link, many tiny flounder will actively 'migrate' to FW after hatching, so the River Leven would be more than enough for them to pass.

(However, I don't know the passability of the river, nor if there are any barriers that would prevent this).

Suprisingly interesting fish, the Flounder. Tastes like crap though off of Norfolk.

Renrag

Well knowing what I know about fish biology I would tend to agree that hypothetically flounders should not be able to breed in freshwater.

That does not change the fact that when I was a youngster I saw plenty of little ones, no bigger than a two pence piece on sandbars in the loch.

The Leven is a strange river. It does not start it's life as a little stream and then grow from there. It comes pouring out of the loch where it's about 40 feet across 15 or more foot deep and flowing at about seven MPH.

If the young flounders are migrating up from the sea that means that they can navigate the fish ladder the same as the salmon and sea trout can. Mind you sometimes when there is a lot of water the barrage will be totally open but this is not an everyday occurrence.

If any flounders make it all the way up to the top end of the loch, although I am not claiming that any do, they would be a good 30 miles from the sea.

I agree with you on the taste. They don't taste like anything one would want to eat.

Source_of_R._Leven.kmz

River_Leven_Barrage.kmz

Edited by corydoras