Which Whip + General Questions

TommoNewton

There are but there not gonna be carbon and for the type of fishing your doing you want as light as possible , but heres that link again to a 7m whip full carbon , i think for this money it has to be your best option.

http://nmpwholesale.co.uk/7mfullcarbonamba...html?cPath=3412

ok brilliant mate , i shall be looking at that , is this website safe ?

and how light will it be in comparison to a rod.

and is it take apart

Peterborough United Fc

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as for general questions , if I have a 6M whip , could 6m of line be used ? the place i need to get to is around 10m out , could I reach this

When fishing to hand.... you have to consider where you hold the whip ie 30cms from the butt end. You then have to consider the bend in the whip when landing a fish. Yes I know this will vary with the weight of individual fish. If we add these two together then the line length will be shorter than the whip by 1 - 1.5m. Then theres another factor that seems to be forgotten, the distance from the waters edge you are sitting. So in opinion 10m might be stretching a 6m whip a bit far.

When fishing to hand.... you have to consider where you hold the whip ie 30cms from the butt end. You then have to consider the bend in the whip when landing a fish. Yes I know this will vary with the weight of individual fish. If we add these two together then the line length will be shorter than the whip by 1 - 1.5m. Then theres another factor that seems to be forgotten, the distance from the waters edge you are sitting. So in opinion 10m might be stretching a 6m whip a bit far.

Your probably right but the 7m whip should be about right i think

ok brilliant mate , i shall be looking at that , is this website safe ?

and how light will it be in comparison to a rod.

and is it take apart

The website is safe and if it wasnt your virus software would let you know

It will feel heavier than a quality 13ft rod but certainly a lot lighter than if you had a 22ft rod (7m) :)

No its not take apart as its a whip

Edited by tony tinca

Alright , i have a £20-30 budget and want a 8M whip , but literally know nothing about whips

1) DO they have top kits / if so how many sectiond and can you use your pole fishing ones for it

2) can you use your pole fishing rigs

3) what sort of whip do you reccomend , i only fish up to 1LB

any help im grateful for , thankyou :)

I have 3 whips of different lengths from a short 3mtr one up to a 7mtr one.

I used to use them in winter team matches on the Canal; and they do occasionally have an advantage over Poles especially when speed fishing or in severely limited swims where you don't have room to unship a Pole, and the fish in front of you don't run to huge sizes.

True whips don't have elastic running through the tip but instead have a fine supple tip to help absorb the twists and turns of a fighting fish.

Some so-called whips sold today do have elastic but they are not really true whips they are really short carp poles.

If you buy a cheap whip you normally end up with a stiff whip with no give in the tip at all which will severely hinder its use; so I would advise you to buy a good quality one.

Although primarily designed for smaller fish, if you get a decent Whip with a fine tip you will be surprised as to the size of fish you can land on one, I have landed surprise Carp of over 5lb and 6lb on a 1.7lb hooklength but I wouldn't normally advise it as you would be asking for trouble.

Try to buy a telescopic Whip which has the two bottom sections 'put-over', this enables you to add a section or two if you hook an unexpected lunker and still give you a chance of landing it.

Attatch the line to the tip of the whip and when the whip is raised the hook should be a few inches above the butt; this enables you to 'fish to hand'. and If the fish is unexpectantly big the addition of another section or two (if needed) will mean that you can still play it to the landing net.

Floats to use:

A whip is cast like a rod using an overhead, sideways or underarm cast to nearly twice the length of the whip and most good whip anglers will use a small waggler type float attached bottom only; such as a small 'canal grey' or similar so that they are using the whip to its full potential.

Some people use a normal pole float on a whip; however; this is not what a whip is primarlily designed for.

Although you might be lucky and find a good one or £20 - £30 it does seem a bit cheap especially if you want to get a decent whip and whips of £50 upwards are a far better choice as they will have a much finer flick tip; plus you won't lose so many fish.

tight lines

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Re your question on rigs -

For speed / to hand fishing I use small wagglers or canal blue floats 2bb shotting or less.

This is because the majority of shotting is around the base of the float allowing a nice smooth underarm swing of the float when casting and once the float has landed (the rig lands in a straight line) I can flick the line and sink it if there is any tow or surface wind. On calm days or when bites are quick I try and leave the line floating.

I make my rigs about two feet shorter than the whip to allow for a hook length and to enable me to swing fish into my hand - I swing them over the top of the keepnet towards me as they do fall off the hook easily.

The cast is simple, bait your hook and keep hold of it putting a slight bend in your whip. As you let go and the rig flies away from you underarm style you give a slight upwards flick of the wrist (holding whip) which further propels the float. As the float reaches the end of the arc you gently drop the wrist and the rig should be in a straight line as it drops in the water.

For winter fishing I do also use small canal floats shotted with three or four no 10 or 11 shot, wires stems and tiny bodies depending on conditions and peg.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

that 9.5M pole looks very heavy like my old one + ive used my mates £600 pole and it was still to heavy , conclusion , im not strong enough.

im looking for maybe a 6M whip at the most because my mate had one and i really did like it :) has anyone got links on whip fishing, like articles etc my google search engine is doing the thing were it seraches completley different thing than you put in , really furstrating.

and , i still havent got an answer on the top kits , can i use the top kits from my old pole.

Peterborough United Fc