It's Arrived :)

Leon Roskilly

I've buckled and whizzed Andy an e-mail to join the waiting list. So weak.

With most types of fishing, you can use multiple reels upon multiple rods.

But when trotting you really can't use more than one at a time, and given that you have a 'best' reel, can only carry others as spares (perhaps loaded with a different line).

So, what do other multiple pin-owners do to justify their retention?

(As well as the AN and Okuma for freshwater use, I've also got 3 Leeds, and a Grice & Young that I mainly use for close-in mullet fishing)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to see how the AN pin compares against some of the ridiculously expensive pins available. I bet I know the answer!

It doesn't win out on the weight front - it's only draw back in my book (but an important one). My Chris Lythe is lighter and my 1920 Witcher - considerably so....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

The match Aerial that Andy so expertly renovated is an excellent reel and is very free running but as you pointed out Leon thats not really the essential thing. I've tried it out in the close season with some hookless trotting down on the river it it struggles a little with the lighter flows.

This is more than likely down to my clumsy loading of the line and is definitely not and by no means a slight on the work Andy has done for me, as before that The Severn Bore wouldn't of pulled line off.

The old Aerial is going to be my workhorse pin for the heavier work and close in on stillwaters. Hopefully if I get my hands on an AN pin I shall use it for the finer work or slower stretches of river.

It doesn't win out on the weight front - it's only draw back in my book (but an important one). My Chris Lythe is lighter and my 1920 Witcher - considerably so....

C.

You could use a drill to drill some large holes and lighten the AN's back-plate a bit Chris.

:rolleyes:

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

C.

How about start-up inertia Chris?

Re justifying keeping another pin - I'll hang onto my Okuma because it's still a good reel, and (god forbid) I might drop my AN pin in the Thames or something equally stupid :rolleyes: Plus it's got different bs line on it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger

C.

The Youngs Bob James is a light reel and a cracking reel to use but the Bob james lightweight must be one of the lightest. The Greys Bewick is also a very light reel.

Similar - the AN pin is better than the Chris Lythe - and performs the same as the Witcher...

C.

Interesting, thanks Chris.

I reckon at next winter's Test and Itchen fish-ins there'll be AN pins as far as the eye can see :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The Youngs Bob James is a light reel and a cracking reel to use but the Bob james lightweight must be one of the lightest. The Greys Bewick is also a very light reel.

My Witcher comes in at 220gm. Think the Youngs Bob James is around 240gm.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Hi JigotaiLike Fruitloopy I've been looking for the place to order the reel. Please put me on your list.ThanksAlan
Hi Alan, I've put your name down :thumbs: .
Now, when is Andy going to start making rods... :lol:
Not my field of expertise unfortunately :)

Chris, what size are the Witcher and the Youngs Bob James reels.

Edited by Jigotai