SILT !

Tench-man

Hi my names richard and i recently joined a club water in middlesex called the millpond .. and it has about 6-7 foot of silt and i was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to which rig to fish over it as ive only been carp fishing about a year now.. and havnt had much experiance foishing over silt .. i was thinkin maybe a choddy or a D rig but am not too sure ..

Hi my names richard and i recently joined a club water in middlesex called the millpond .. and it has about 6-7 foot of silt and i was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to which rig to fish over it as ive only been carp fishing about a year now.. and havnt had much experiance foishing over silt .. i was thinkin maybe a choddy or a D rig but am not too sure ..
your best bet is to contact existing members and pick their brains cos that is some serious deep silt you have there!but if i had to go there and fish it BLIND then i would probably float fish it with brandlings just touching bottom,best regards and tight lines,eddie court

A few feet of silt in the bottom of a lake is not an uncommon thing (most lakes have lots of it in them). Its the kind of silt that can make ledgering hard work. Sometimes if its deep and very soft its better to forget ledgering and float fish instead.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I too would go with the float on any soft silt over a couple of feet deep it is just so much easier. Fishing is suppose to be a pleasure not a pain.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

How do you measure the depth of the silt :unsure:

You dont need to know how deep the silt is , you just need to be just on top of it so carefull plumming is key .

I use something thats not gonna sink to much into the silk ie a large surface area , ive used a large flat method feeder before but a large flat plummet will do , the plummet will still sink slightly but you can see this as the float stays briefly before sinking slowly so you know you have hit the silt and adjust the float depth accordingly so your either on or just above silt .

Edited by tony tinca

You dont need to know how deep the silt is , you just need to be just on top of it so carefull plumming is key .

I use something thats not gonna sink to much into the silk ie a large surface area , ive used a large flat method feeder before but a large flat plummet will do , the plummet will still sink slightly but you can see this as the float stays briefly before sinking slowly so you know you have hit the silt and adjust the float depth accordingly so your either on or just above silt .

Even though you dont need to know as you just need to sit on top of it, how do you know how deep the silt is, just out of curiosity more than anything???

Cheers,

Stu...

Even though you dont need to know as you just need to sit on top of it, how do you know how deep the silt is, just out of curiosity more than anything???

Cheers,

Stu...

If you cast out a large bomb and wind in slowly you can feel if its fairly deep.

But dont knows my answer :lol:

Tie a heavy weight to the end of your line, put on a big free running float (something like a pike float, big and bouyant) and leave it running freely on the line, tie a length of white wool to the line (from the lead up), and cast out. The lead will go through the silt, the float will keep the line more or less vertical, and the wool will take on the colour of the silt. Leave it for 10 minutes and bring it in, and see how much silty wool you have.

This is something I've heard, I haven't tried it myself, but I've no doubt it would work.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music