Angling shelters/brollies

Ian Gray

Having struggled with a conventional smallish brollie for a number of years, I require something which offers more protection but is still light and quickly erected. I dont have and don't anticipate using a bed chair, the review of the Relum Brotel on this site looks interesting. What about oval brollies with storm sides versus 3 rib shelters such as supplied by Fox. Any thoughts/recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a Brotel on the strength of the review here (in fact twas the reason I was first alerted to AN - but that's another story). I WOULD recommend them highly - however I don't think they're still being made - are they?? :confused:

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Earlier this year I was looking for exactly the same thing, and I was told that relum brotels are no longer made.

There was a very limited stock of the standard model at the time in a southern tackle dealer but I can't remember the name of it.

When I enquired at my local tackle shop (a very big outfit) I was told ...'can't get them..no way, we don't deal with them anyway as they weren't very good, lots of leaks after a while and you'd be better off with a storm shelter'.

They also said something which gave me food for thought... if they were that good why have they been discontinued? :confused: (apparently the makers got out of the angling game altogether.)

I bought a brolly from Argos for less than £20 fitted it with stormcaps £5 and made a skirt and groundsheet from some thick PVC groundsheet material, it is big enough for a chair and all my gear (less the rod holdall) and the brolly is secure in a wind with two long banksticks and its own built-in guyropes. :)

There are loads of custom nu-brolly style umbrellas to choose from circa £50 or you could of course opt for the storm shelter there are several on the market for under £100

I would steer clear of the very cheap ones though they are flimsy and don't look very longlasting.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

The Fox Evolution Classic is a good alternative. They're lighter than a brolly, and you might be able to pick one up very cheaply, as they have virtually been replaced by a similar model, the name of which escapes me at the moment. They only give partial cover at the front, but they are infinitely height adjustable. If you make yourself some lightweight storm sides, you could achieve almost total coverage.

Before you buy one though, put the one you are buying up in the shop. Some of them go up in seconds, and others are a bit of a struggle.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I've both the De-luxe Brotel and a Bedchair Brotel, and reviewed them both here on Angler's Net. Neither has ever leaked despite the abuse I give my gear. But then, as they're nylon, I reproof them once a year.

The only very minor problem is on the Bedchair Brotel where some stitching has come undone at the end of a rib, but that was my fault. It would be very easy to repair.

I now have a bivvie for overnight sessions because at Wingham you need some protection from the mossies. As a result I only ever use the Bedchair Brotel for the few daytime sessions I share a swim with a friend.

I'll therefore be putting my Bedchair Brotel up for sale before long.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

quote:

Before you buy one though, put the one you are buying up in the shop. Some of them go up in seconds, and others are a bit of a struggle.

Very interesting that Peter, I bought an evo classic more than two years ago and have never used it in anger as I can't get the thing up in less than 15 minutes....Oh well you live and learn!

Paul