over stocking

thornabyangler

Is it owned by a canny fishery who are growing the carp on to sell?

It is a cheap option for them.

Why feed the fish when anglers will pay to do it?

This is a tactic used by a certain fishery in Suffolk who own alot of waters they use as stock ponds but also issue day tickets for them!!!!!!!

PS its not Framlingham fisheries but another one who have a big fishery with several pools near Ipswich and the A14

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Carp need space to grow, otherwise (like many fish) they remain stunted, however good the food supply.

It's the job of predators to stop that happening and allow the development of good healthy specimen fish.

The club to which I belong took over a small water, full of perfect miniatures of 30lbers, 15 years old or so, and the size of a 50p piece!

Bonzai carp!!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

From what I have read, a natural fertile and aged estate lake should hold up to 650lbs of fish per acre. Rivers hold about a 3rd of this. Some commercials have been known to hold several 1000lbs of fish per acre. In my opinion, anything above a ton of fish per acre is nothing more than a fish farm.

Regards MD

Interesting article in Anglers Mail this week about BW reducing stock levels at Makins. Makes interesting reading. BW don't always get it right, but I think they have this time.

[ 17. September 2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]