Help and Advice PLEASE!

helmshorecritic

I am enjoying my first season angling but I have a problem which I cannot resolve - line twist.

I have an Okuma Genic reel with Maxima chameleon 5lb line. I always float fish but the recent tangles are doing my head in! After casting the line kinks up almost between every line guide before knotting itself.When I take the bale arm off the line jumps off it like a coiled snake, I've had to strip off about 30 metres this weekend alone and am now well below the lip of the spool. I did try Shimano Exage? line but that was no different. This afternoon I went onto the local park and pulled 120m of line off and slowly reeled it all back but it still twists.What am I doing wrong?

helmshorecritic,

From what I have seen from previous posts on here regarding line twist, you might like to try the following:

Before you carry on with what's below, check to make sure you haven't overfilled the spool. The line should just come up to, but not any further out than the lip of the spool.

If your spool is filled correctly then....

Go back to the park with your rod and your reel. Thread the line through you rod and tie the end of your line to a post or a tree. Unwind the line from the reel by walking away from where you tied the line. When you have gone back as far as you can, give the rod a couple of bends (but not so you snap the line). Wind in again keeping the line fairly tight by putting a bit of a bend in the rod. When you have wound right in, anchor the line round the line clip then cut away from the tree or post. Remember to take any disgarded line home with you.

When you get home, fill a container with some warm (not too hot) water. Dip the spool in the water a leave for a short while. Take the spool out and leave it to dry. Hopefully, the "memory" on the line will now match your spool.

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines

Chris.

There is nothing wrong with the line you are using, as I have used it without any problems.

I know nothing about Okuma reels.

Chris,s suggestion works and you can also buy a little gadget from your Tackle Shop, that you tie on the end of your line, cast out and as you retrieve it, the twists come out of your line, that works as well.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Try letting your line run down a river with nothing on it, or drag it through grass for a while. To stop line twist ensure your terminal tackle is not spinnig when you are retrieving it.

anglingireland.info

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Helms, could be one or more reasons, firstly, are you in the habit of pulling line off the reel against the clutch, each turn you pull off will put one twist in the line, It will not take you long to put 50 twists in.

Second, as you are float fishing it could be the twist is being put in by the float spinning as you wind in,

It is also quite likely that most of the twist occurred when you wound the line on the reel first time.

I rather think that the float spinning is the main cause of your trouble, I had a severe twist problem recently while using a centrepin, which I definitely traced to float spin.

Prop up your rod,open the bail arm, pull off as many yards as you think are twisted, go back to the rod and wind the line back on, keeping a tight grip between finger and thumb to "stroke" the twist out, Repeat until all twist has gone

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

It's also worth checking that your bail-arm roller is revolving freely as this can exacerbate any potential line twist

I know guys who are using these new Okuma reels with no probs .... but you have to give them time to get run-in. They're really cheap too.

Diamond Geezer