Cheeky Chub

3DoorsDown

Having got bored of sitting behind silent bite alarms, I nipped down the river the other morning in an attempt to re-live the 16th of June and pick up some Chub on the centre pin.

Everything started well, picking up a 3lb Bream from the shoal I'd spotted on my second trot through. I even managed to negotiate my bread flake through a weedy swim and land a couple of nice Roach and a chunky Dace. However, I couldn't tempt a Chub from the deeper runs I'd found them in before.

When I did locate the Chub they were enjoying the sunshine in 2 - 3 feet of crystal clear water. Every time a loose piece of bread flake went in, they oblidged by snaffling it up, but when my bait went in below a crystal chubber float, no weights on the 4lb line, they'd approach the bait gently wafting in the slow current and as soon as they got within a few inches turn away :confused:

Can any more experienced Chub anglers give me some ideas how to trick these cheeky chub ?

You could try free-lining with dipped breadflake, which can be cast a fair way with no extra weight on the line. And you could try using a flurocarbon hooklength (if you weren't already). Good luck!

I've caught chub this way using chum mixers. Spend 10 mins trickling them in and ensure they're really having it before starting to fish. Freeline one over their heads and bang!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I find a freelined lobworm or slug works fine for chub in shallow clear water. I cast it in with a bit of a splash near the biggest fish and as long as I'm completely out of sight, several of them usually dash for it.

Thanks for the advice folks. The main theme I notice, (which I didn't achieve at the time) is to get them competing hard for the loose feed going in.

Then I suppose they'll be much like me......grab any food going.......ask questions later !