what reel?

steeplejack

i lure fish.i was given abu ambassadeurfor my birthday two years ago.it was sold to my sister by our local friendly fishing shop.i use it with a 6 1/2ft rod,it's been hard work.i came to the conclusion,a long while back,that this reel was slightly oversized for the job in hand.i don't use lures over 2ozs,well not yet.my birthday,it cometh around again,and i'm looking at geting a shimano multiplier.comments would be gratefully recived,esecially if you own one.thanks,got to sllep,bayy thinks it's day time,won't let us sleep!!!!

You should be able to fish with lures down to about 1/2oz quite comfortably with a 6500/6501 sized reel, but if you are regularly chucking lighter lures a Curado might be a better bet. Either reels will work perfectly well, but the Curado is smaller and feels less of a handful. The only trouble with a small reel like a Curado is when you try to use thick braid with it. A good cast sees the line level drop so low that the retrieve speed is severely compromised.

Tim

Hi Steeplejack,

Tell us a bit more, what model # is the reel, look on your rod you use it on and tell us what weight rating (1-3oz?) and action ( L-M-H ?)is written on it.

It could be the set up is not balanced for the size of lure you are using.

Also the reel tensions may need easing off a bit and it's trying to slow the line down too much?

Try casting some lead weight bombs of heavier weights to see if it feels better.

This year i have started using a spincast reel which is a closed faced fixedspool reel that sits on top of the rod like a multiplier and you use a thumb button on rear of the reel to release the line on the cast. I found that on light lures on casting all the energy from the cast went into spinning the spool on the multipliers which ment the lure only went a short distance and many birdnests of line of the reel :mad: . When i changed to the spincast reel the lure, even light lures just fly out on the cast.It might be worth you looking at one of these or borrow one to try if you can find some in UK using one :D

They are made by ABU, Rhino Reels, Daiwa,Shakespear etc.

Shimano do a small Bantam type of multipier which a lot of people use and like . My son has one , but again there comes a lower limit to the size of the lure it will cast a good distance.

Maybe someone can add the casting weights ( Min) recommened for your Abu reel.

I hope some of the above helps and gives you some new ideas, I'm sure others will add more on this one.

When you said it's hard work i presume you mean alot of hardcasting to get any distance?

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

thanks richard,i've got a 5501c3,i can fire 15g lures a good distance,i don't get birdnests that often i highly rate the reel.it's been a hard slog to get this far.i want to use it with a slightly longer rod,say 8ft.this will be my hevier set up,lures up to 100gs.the rod i've got casts to 56gs.its a good rod it's medium action,abu aswell.i had been fishing for only two months when i got my abu,i was expecting an egg whisk type costing about £30, i,d never seen one before,my mate hadn't,i had alot to learn :) now, i wouldn't part with it.i would like to purcase a smaller reel,to put with my 6,1/2ft rod.shimano have a new range out next week i am tempted.

Shimano Stradic 4000 is ideal for lure fishing with those size of lures. I do alot of heavy duty feeder fishing in Ireland with a Stradic 4000 and ive had mine for 2 years. I have still yet to see anything go wrong with it... Shimano by no shadow of a doubt do the best reels money can buy, and in the past, reels that I have bought (diawa, browning, abu) they really just do not compete.

FishinMad2001:

Shimano Stradic 4000 is ideal for lure fishing with those size of lures.

I think from reading his first post he is looking for a multiplier reel. Stradics are all fixed spool aren't they?
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President