Hows the weed problem on the fens

JackPike

don,t find it a problem,moreof a challange than a problem.not been to 40 or 16 in a while.vanatts and southand north drove have plenty of weedy patches,mainly loose floating stuff court on the tops of the surface weed.need a good rise in the water levels so it can be flushed out of the siuice gates. sorry can't be more tecnical,but hey,it's a start.

The Wide Welland is probably worse than I've ever seen it, and the Glen is virtually sealed over from bank to bank. I think a hell of a lot of nitrate must have been washed in during last winter.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

took a friend a typical strech of a lincolnshire drain yesterday.he'd come 120 miles (his grandad had died)and needed a short time on the bank.we could only fish for one and a half hours,so i chose an untrodden spot,somewhere i,ve not fished or seen before,but had located on a landranger map.we are best mates,we'venot fished together since boxing day. :(:( what has this got to do with weed i hear you ask,we didn't care about the weed,we just needed to fish :D my mates personal best pike did stand at 9lb,i lent him my total set up,he caught a new p.b 20 1/4lb,chrisened my new 1-minus and made my day with the look on his face and his victory dance. :cool: :cool: if you need to fish just go,time is precious.

Weed sorta hard to live with but ya carnt live without it.

Everyone seems to want to do away with it. But then those pike and perch, and chub , and... would nt hide along it.

Hey come to that those fish that hide below it would then see us along the bank.

What would I hide the line on if they took it away?

whats wrong with making a clearing in the weed... anyone want to borrow my rope??

"Muddlin' along"

What I am talking about is the duck weed and that horrible stuff like a blanket of cotton wool i know that we need weed .On my local drain last week it was just like a giant green carpet probaly more a algae problem than a weed one look what happen at the Old Bedford River last month.

[ 06. October 2002, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: JackPike ]

He who simply trys, Is not trying hard enuff