Centrepins

Spindle

This thread should attract the bees to the honeypot... :D

OK lads (and lasses), I've started to put my thoughts down about the piece on 'Pins. Hopefully with your help it should grow to become a pretty good "complete guide" to Pins, which should hopefully cover many of the questions regularly asked about pins, and hopefully attract a few new members to the Pin collective!

One section I thought I could initially ask for help on, is if you Pin owners to supply a short review of any Pins you own.

I know Leon and Dunk have Leeds, Gray has a Trudex (any others Gray?).

Chris Plumb will be getting the crown jewels soon, so when you get your Whitcher, Chris...

I have an Adcock, a Youngs Bob James, my Match Aerial and the Chris Lythe, which I've already reviewed and will just link to the other page. I've also got my Starback, but it's in for repair (Big End's gone, apparently...)

I'm quite keen to get reviews of as many different types as possible, and duplicates are fine. Good or bad opinions of each pin are welcome.

I'm quite keen to get reviews of the Speedia, which is one reel that seems to fit into the beginners bracket, but which I do not have first-hand knowledge of.

And if anybody has any unusual 'pins (like that DAM ROBO that was mentioned recently - was that the one being sold by Davis Tackle?) that would be great!

Look forward to hearing from you. Post your reviews here if you like, I'll cut/paste into the document if necessary. Alternatively, e-mail me:

glenn_m_smith@tiscali.co.uk

By the way, if you can supply any pictures (your own personal ones, so as not to cause copyright problems for Elton) then that would be great!

[ 15. March 2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: spindle ]

I've got a Browning Revolver, an old Rapidex (in need of a little TLC), an Intrepid Popular and a DAM Robo (the one that Davies had for sale).

See this thread if you want to new DAM Robo.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

spindle - you are an evil man. Positively evil.

Here I sit with 30 rods and 20 workable reels. About half fixed spool and half either multiplier or spin-cast (rare in the UK I understand).

And there is only the wife and me to fish with them.

The very last thing I need is to add another sort of reel which will likely necessitate different rods. And no one can go with only a single rod/reel of a specific type. Just can't.

So you and this large Pin article are going to cost me money and possibly a marriage. Not sure how many more rods/reels I can buy without herself dumping me for a bowler or auto racer or something.

Evil, evil man. :D:D

Seriously - this should be a section that is fun for all and very instructive for many. Glad you are doing it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Just bought my first 'pin a speedia circa 1960, spins like a dream, my mate reckons it spins better than his £175 spindled pin, which looks a little like your avatar pic. Simple mechanism was right hand wind now left hand just eased the spring off its locating pin and flipped the ratchet plate over.

I haven't used it yet... that will be fun! still deciding what to load it with.

When I get the scanner working again I will be able to post pics.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

errrrrrr, please Newt sir, I've got three 'spin cast' reels.

Newt, real anglers have atleast one 'pin', even if they never actually use it!

But believe me, a pin might be basic but the delight in using one is immense. Buy one for your wife! She might let you borrow it :D .

Glen,

I have a Chris Lythe Scotton Long Trotter, Paul Whitcher Avon Elite, Richard Carter Aerial Gem and an Adcock Stanton. You are welcome to any information. I am also thinking of doing a small article for a local angling clubs website.