Turning your hand to fly-fishing?

The Diamond Geezer

I go fly fishing all the time, but will definetly be doing more than usual. Thats if I can stump up £200 for the new season ticket!!! Any contributions/donations gratefully received.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

Yep....The Wharfe, Aire and Ure are beckoning.

Paul

Apache:

I go fly fishing all the time, but will definetly be doing more than usual. Thats if I can stump up £200 for the new season ticket!!!

Matt

£200 for a new season ticket sounds more than a tad expensive! Surely there are some other venues that won't whack your wallet quite so hard?! You live in an ace area within easy reach of some decent waters e.g. Thames, Kennet, Avon, Stour, Lambourn, Cherwell etc

DG

[ 20. March 2003, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

D.G. You're right they all contain Grayling but the Ure in particular is a joy to fish for them. It's perhaps best on a very cold and clear Winters day but great during the rest of the year too!

I hope you have success wherever you fish.

Paul

Tinca61:

D.G. You're right they all contain Grayling but the Ure in particular is a joy to fish for them. It's perhaps best on a very cold and clear Winters day but great during the rest of the year too!

I hope you have success wherever you fish.

Cheers, Paul

... but I envy you those beautiful grayling. I have had a couple in my time from southern rivers and as you say, they don't give a toss about cold weather! They're beautiful muscle-packed fish that are up for a scrap anytime you fancy it!

graylingstour.gif

Tight lines

DG

[ 20. March 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

There are no grayling in East Anglia that I have ever heard of which is a pity.

Most flyfishing here is done on stillwaters.

Trouble is they cost a packet to fish. On most you have a two fish limit and have to pay for any others you catch. If you catch your limit in the first hour it can ruin your day.

Its about time there were more catch and release fisheries. Most people would pay the extra knowing that they could fish all day and catch as many as they liked as they are put straight back with minimum handling. (best to unhook in water with out touching trout to much.)

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Diamond Geezer, Thats just a rounding of what the season ticket costs, it actually costs about £175, but I need some new line, etc, etc. It soon builds up.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

Apache:

Diamond Geezer, Thats just a rounding of what the season ticket costs, it actually costs about £175, but I need some new line, etc, etc. It soon builds up.   :(

Yup, you're not wrong! I use braid these days instead of the old-style nylon mono, but I still turn it round on the spool at the end of the season, just to be on the safe side.

Still, fishing's good value for money in my book, coz without it I'd go crazy. Keeps me sane, even on blank days.

Tight lines for the rest of 2003 (and beyond)

DG