Any advice on Wallis casting?

far bank stalker

Wondering if anybody has ever had the same problem i'm having. Started out doing a modified Wallis cast and i can cast a fair distance but i just get the same tangle, which is the bottom weight whips up and tangles my hooklength with either the float or the bulk shot (stopped using buttons for anything but rod tip stuff)

now i've settled with a standard Wallis cast, i think, where i bring my left arm in as the rod loads and the float goes out and although i can't cast quite as far it works out about 90% of the time, still usually at a critical moment the same thing happens. pretty sure its because the hooklength is so much more flexible than the mainline but they're evenly matched i think ( 3.2lb/2lb)?

the only way i can think of to stop it are either to stop using a hooklength (never!) or stop using the bottom weight, which is out at this time of year and if i remember from last year not guaranteed to work either. anyway any help gratefully received....

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

Don't you slow the drum with your finger/ thumb at the end of the cast ? If you do it should tighten your line and cause your hook to precede your float as it hits the water.

For most of my fishing, especially trotting I fish straight through and in all honesty I've never been snapped by a fish.

Edited by Tigger

Wondering if anybody has ever had the same problem i'm having. Started out doing a modified Wallis cast and i can cast a fair distance but i just get the same tangle, which is the bottom weight whips up and tangles my hooklength with either the float or the bulk shot (stopped using buttons for anything but rod tip stuff)

two possibles here ,shot spacing or not stopping the cast (niffty thumb work)

now i've settled with a standard Wallis cast, i think, where i bring my left arm

in as the rod loads and the float goes out and although i can't cast quite as

far it works out about 90% of the time, still usually at a critical moment the

same thing happens. pretty sure its because the hooklength is so much more

flexible than the mainline but they're evenly matched i think ( 3.2lb/2lb)?

two possibles here ,shot spacing or not stopping the cast (niffty thumb work) *

the only way i can think of to stop it are either to stop using a hooklength

(never!) or stop using the bottom weight, which is out at this time of year and

if i remember from last year not guaranteed to work either. anyway any help

gratefully received....

???????? don't get this last bit about the bottom weight (dropper / tele tale ?) out at this time of year ?????

* shot spacing will effect how the lighter hooklink will behave .if your dropper shot is just below half distance from a bulk shotting patten too the hook under little resistance the hook shouldn't swing up and catch on the bulk shots ,if the cast is braked correctly ,you should be appling thumb pressure too the spools rim too brake it just as the tackle nears the water ,(same as feathering the line when waggler fishing) the bulk will shoot forwards then the dropper shot then the hook all straitning out as it lands on the water .this will happen to more or lesser degree according too how you time the braking action.(does'nt matter how you cast ,the princable is the same)

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

two possibles here ,shot spacing or not stopping the cast (niffty thumb work)

two possibles here ,shot spacing or not stopping the cast (niffty thumb work) *

???????? don't get this last bit about the bottom weight (dropper / tele tale ?) out at this time of year ?????

* shot spacing will effect how the lighter hooklink will behave .if your dropper shot is just below half distance from a bulk shotting patten too the hook under little resistance the hook shouldn't swing up and catch on the bulk shots ,if the cast is braked correctly ,you should be appling thumb pressure too the spools rim too brake it just as the tackle nears the water ,(same as feathering the line when waggler fishing) the bulk will shoot forwards then the dropper shot then the hook all straitning out as it lands on the water .this will happen to more or lesser degree according too how you time the braking action.(does'nt matter how you cast ,the princable is the same)

fish won't bite if i don't use a hooklength. the few times ive broken off on the bottom, forgotten my chameleon line and had to fish straight through it's killed the session there and then. also, though i guess it's just from my fumblings later in the year i sometimes fish a touch more over depth with no sinker so that the bait can move up and down a bit in the flow. to be honest i'm a total novice. i only started fishing again last year and when i did fish before i only ever used a centrepin once. i think i need to practice slowing the line down. i have been doing it via the line in my left hand

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

fish won't bite if i don't use a hooklength. the few times ive broken off on the bottom, forgotten my chameleon line and had to fish straight through it's killed the session there and then. also, though i guess it's just from my fumblings later in the year i sometimes fish a touch more over depth with no sinker so that the bait can move up and down a bit in the flow. to be honest i'm a total novice. i only started fishing again last year and when i did fish before i only ever used a centrepin once. i think i need to practice slowing the line down. i have been doing it via the line in my left hand

Are you using long bottoms ? You only need a 12 inch or less bottom. I use a micro swivel to join my lines when trotting and the swivel acts like a small bottom shot.

Sounds like you just need to polish up your cast.

Word to micro-swivels. Since I started using them, I barely use any other method. Nice and tidy too.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

i have been doing it via the line in my left hand

Once the float's in flight your left hand should act as a sort of extra rod ring, it only guides the line. No point in using it to slow the line because if nothing's slowing the drum a birds nest is the likely outcome.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back