Mad Hatter

Duncan

Dear Forum Members,

And it has come to pass that my aged, long loved fishing hat - an inside out felt trilby - is apparently no longer de-riguer in angling circles and its seen to be a throw back to the 60's carp & specimen scene and therefore not modern or hi-tech.

Now I think there's is nowt wrong with my hat, its a superb tribute to the hatters art, it keeps the rain off, the conical shape sheds water straight down your back instead of down your neck. When it falls into the water the cunning shape makes it unsinkable - trapping air when inverted, and having sufficient wetted area to act as a boat when falling the other way.

In fact this floatation property has helped in long range baiting campaigns as the hat takes 2lbs of red band etc. leaving 2" of freeboard so it easily floats out to the baited area, and a quick flick of the tether accurately deposits the piscatorial delights with minimal disturbance. :rolleyes: .

Correctly rigged the hat on the retrieve acts as a kite, floating into the air away from the water surface and drying at the same time. It has also served as an emergency soup dish and water container.

I've tried one of these new-fangled baseball caps but apart from looking like an aged Babe Ruth (shape only :D ), it didn't keep my lugs warm and when it became mouldy was summarily executed by "she who must be occasionally listened to" as a health hazard :( .

So it would appear that to maintain a level of bankside credibility/acceptability I'm going to have to invest in a new hat, therefore I ask in these modern times what can members suggest as a suitable replacement?.

Hopefully

Duncan

Ps - does this also mean that my Herons will have to be updated?

Get a deerstalker, not only can you pull the earflaps down when its "taters" by the water, but it has two peaks, a forward one to shield face, and a rear one to keep icy rain/hail/sleet/snow out of the back of your neck.

Owners of baseball caps never seem to know which way round to wear them - owning a deerstalker solves that indecision at a stroke :):)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I am the last person on earth to be giving fashion advice,but I have several hats for fishing,woolly jobs for winter,ratting caps for normal conditions all season,and I do like a floppy in summer sunshine.

Strongly recommend a hat from Tilley Endurables - mine (an early T3) has fished on 4 continents and is still in great condition. They aren't the cheapest, but they're top top quality and will last a lifetime.

There's also quite a few companies in the UK that sell them on-line if you cant buy locally.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

My Missus has just given me a cracking and unexpected Christmas present, a Kangaroo leather hat made by Barmah, it is a wide brimmed job so it'll keep the rain off etc as you mention. You know when something just feels right? (I didn't say looked right....!!!), well this is it.....I'm mega impressed.

Paul

A good old p.v.c. sou'wester from the local branch of the Yarmouth Stores solves all problems. It's safe from thieves as no one else would be seen dead in it. Ideal for bailing sinking boats. Acts as an impromptu aid to personal evacuation (that should get past the auto censor!), can also be used for mixing groundbait. Worn back to front acts as an excellent sun shade. Can be bought in brillient yellow or sexy black! It also folds flat when not in use.

Hi Chaps,

Well after reading these kind posts it looks like a pvc/possum skin fore & aft is going to be the ultimate. :cool:

I wonder if they are available in “Real tree” :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips the wife’s going to take me to the milliners.

TTFN

Duncan